AIS Receivers

Very, but it is a bit like worrying about the entrance to Papeete before you leave for Tahiti

It's over 2000 nm away

The plan is to get an update from Tauranga HM and MNZ before leaving Napier.

If there is any risk a waypoint or two will be added to the outer BOP for leg 4.

But if you worried about everything you wouldn't get out of bed.

Hey Danaide,, how seriously are you and the others taking the Rena Container issue?

How much did you see out there last weekend Squid?

This weekend We have had 1000meter rolls of nylon semi submerged

out there today in the danger zone and saw nothing. . .

M

None, but it got a mention in a press release from SSANZ, so I was curious what the competitors thought, and yes I am putting that press release and competitor profiles on the home page after I get back from a sales meeting today.

Sorry I thought that you wanted the official line.

Personally we entered this race exactly 9 months to the day form start day.

Sooooo just bring it on !!!

OK, so how did it go?

Well, it only arrived about a week before the race so we were in a learn as you go faze.

We only had it setup for the laptop so no audio alarm and you had to go below to check it,

It was great for identifying ships (up to 25+ nm away) never less than visual range.

The ships seemed to use it to identify our course and speed also as we had a bulk ore carrier pass .33 nm astern off Puysegur in broad daylight and also another ship pass .5nm astern off Red Mercury at midnight and without being able to see there CPA I would have bailed in both cases.

We also had 4 ships off Tolaga Bay 2 going each way up and down the coast with us short tacking up between them, it made it much easier to identify the potential risks and ignore the others.

Another thing is you dont realize how many ships are out there just out of sight untill they show up on the screen, these are the lights that your not quite able to get a fix on at night.

Another upside is being able to see were the opposition that are running AIS are, what speed there doing and what there heading is. Until they turn it off.

The down side of class B is you only seem to pick up them at 6-8nm.

The biggest down side is Fishing vessels don't have them so places like East Cape with lots of work boats and also ships converging made it tricky.

The up side of Fishing boats not having them is if its lit up like a xmas tree and doesn't show on the screen you know that it fishing.

It was a very useful tool for a event like this, has its limitations (but all tools do)

I wouldn't even consider it if your a Gulf or coastal daylight cruiser,

But if your going anywhere that your likely to encounter shipping congestion then well worth it.

you can have audio alarms from the laptop. Unusally in the AIS program, but if not, use open cpn or one of the many other nav tools. Turn the volume up! You can change the sounds as well - I use an alarm from a 688 class sub - that i found online. Very loud, and will wake you... :D

Thanks Danaide,

Sounds good to me. Bit scary when ships use it to come close by but they are skilled people (if awake). It would be good if workboats had them also.

Archived