AIS Receivers

The Marine traffic site was really handy for tracking the GOR boats as they came towards Welly, but I did find that there was some black spots where the signal would drop out. When you tracked their progress, it often drew a line across land as it connected the signalled positions together.

A site that kept me amused for quite some time though.

Just make sure you get the antenna kit with it....

So I T if I do it what do I need ? I have a Garman plotter and a VHF that both say that there compatible

1 Unit

2 antenna spliter ?

3 Bluetooth so I can also bring it up on my IPad.

Anything else ?

Do I have to register it

Pay any fees to us it ?

Jon

Ok Rigger, two handed round nz. What would you recommend ?

Last time I looked they were 5k+ which didnt stack up but at under 1k they are worth considering ?

Up to you, if you are intending to do a reasonable amount of coastal / offshore short handed it may be worth investing in a transponder.

Might be better asking others that are doing the race what they are using.

I can see the value in a unit for the west coast where there is a bit of offshore oil/gas work as well as where there is significant shipping, but..... NZ is not that busy.

Large numbers of smaller fishing vessels do not have AIS and they could be a bit of a hazard.

Either way if you think it will make the race safer for you it might be worth it.

Rigger, sorry but not seeing ships without AIS is not an error/fault with the system....

I never said it was, not sure where you got that from

- The issue I have is that most people are not truely aware of the limitations of their electronics and they place too much reliance on them and fail to keep a proper lookout with their eyes.

FYI

Out of a fleet of 70+ vessels that I worked across we identified some 40 that could have a position reporting error induced accidentally by the operater doing everything correctly with the primary GPS. That is setting the GPS datum on the GPS unit to suit the paper chart datum and the AIS unit interpreting that position as WGS-84 and then transmitting it to other vessels. Only some GPS units had this conflict with a certain make of AIS. So there you are sailing along no AIS alarm and suddenly.......

BTW - one of those vessels I mentioned above was working on the NZ coast a year or 3 back.

Not wanting to bang on about it but please learn the limitations of the gear you have.

Ok Rigger, you are quite correct. Read the manuals and understand your equipment. EVERYTHING can have operator error. Radars, Radios, AIS's, even whole boats!

Danaide, you have to get an MMSI number for the AIS transponder. Once only, and you can normally only program this once (or twice) in most transponders. Do it wrong (it is simple!!) and to many times and you will have to returnt he unit to the manufacturer to be reset. This is the reason that 2nd hand Transponders are basically worthless - they have the wrong (not your) MMSI number programmed. I don't recall paying anything for my number.

You need;

1 Unit

2 antenna spliter OR an an antenna kit (I prefer an antenna for the AIS)

3 Bluetooth so I can also bring it up on my IPad. (yep, if you want)

Anything else ? Make sure your plotter has AIS capability AND a NMEA 183 port

Do I have to register it - see above, MMSI number

Pay any fees to us it ? - nope :D

Details, details....... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol:

Do you have a link to that one in Singapore?

Hey C I have pushed the button so hopefully it will arrive before we go so I can take it around the country and report back

D

Hey C I have pushed the button so hopefully it will arrive before we go so I can take it around the country and report back

D

That's great! Which one did you pick up? The receiver on trademe? or a Transponder?

Details, details....... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol:

Do you have a link to that one in Singapore?

AMEC-CAMINO-101-038 AMEC CAMINO-101 Class B AIS Transponder

Model: Bluetooth model with antenna -

Hope it arrives before the race starts

Hope you give us a review. Having been bounced of a ship off Portland I think these should be great. Shipping gets concentrated around peninsulars , islands. Portland and the East cape are two examples. Loggers leave Whangarei and take a line for east cape then Portland. And don't we know they are not always paying attention. In my incident the problem was i was below the seamist and they were above it.

If you get one, you should expect that the onus is on you to keep a lookout for yourself and not for large ships to necessarily ID and call you. Whilst this might happen in open waters it won't in busy coastal areas. In Europe AIS has been mainstream for some time and ships now warn that in busy waters they can no longer monitor AIS because so many boats have it their screens are too cluttered to be useful in a a hurry.

If you get one, you should expect that the onus is on you to keep a lookout for yourself .....

But that goes for ANYTHING electronic AC.

Of course, I wasn't suggesting otherwise. I was just picking up on an earlier comment (Summertime?) who said that they had been called up by another ship in response to their AIS signal.... I'm just saying don't expect that to be the norm.

Not expecting them to call us at all but I'm sure if you call them by name they will be more likely to reply.

Anyway if we get in working in time you lot can keep a eye on it and pm me if it's getting close.

Don't panic I'm taking the piss :!: :angel: :wave:

Just caught up on this.

We are agents for Icom at Safety at Sea. We have sold a number of the MA 500TR which is the transponder unit. A nice top end prodduct and pricing wel under 2k including screen andaerial.

I also have a AIS receiver only as part of an Icom 504 which was a cancelled order. This will be a good first step for a budget challenged cruiser or someone running charting software on a laptop.

Archived