Yachting historians needed please

Atom Ant

Recently, I received an email from a person who needs some help. The guts of the email is pasted below. If you think you can help this person can you please pm me and I will get you all in touch. Naturally we are already working on this from the WBC end of things. Cheers.

This is quite a long shot but am wanting to do some research as a surprise for my Dad. My Grandfather Hedly Bull was a member of the Weiti River Yacht club up until he passed away in about 1984. His yacht was named Santiano, and this was subsequently sold when he died. I have no idea to who. My dad helped build the boat with his father and still holds a keen interest in boating today - although more the launch type than the yachts. I have always wondered what ever happened to grandads boat who bought and would we ever see it again - spent a lot of my young years on it and have a lot of fond memories on there. Are there any historical records that records either boat names, or if they have changed names what the new name would be? I would love to track the boat down and take a photo for Dad to let him know that the old girl is still around. It was built in 1971-1972 ...i am just unsure where to even begin to research this. And who knows Dad may even be able to trade work in progress photos of when she was being built with the current owners!

Any information on how to go about this would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

Stephanie Shand

There is an entry on the Yachting NZ site which - assuming it's the same boat (and the name sounds reasonably unique) - would have it as a Lidgard design with the sail number 2053. Which is around the right era.

No current owner or location details though - don't know if, under the circumstances and asked in the right way, YNZ might be prepared to disclose the last recorded owner as a starting point.

And yes, I know that doesn't make me a historian, just a guy with an internet connection. :roll:

Santiano was a Lidgard design (not sure which one) registered with YNZ number 2053 about 1974 or 1975 (she first appears in the 1976/77 list). She was registered to H.A. Bull first of Tanakaha Drive, Whangarei, and later of Whangaparoa Road. She remained under his ownership until around 1984. Since then, there have been no registered owners.

The only way you can track her is if someone stumbles across her in their travels - assuming of course she still carries the same sail number. I see plenty of cruisers out in the Bay of Islands carrying no numbers at all or worse still, different numbers on main and jib, so anything is possible really.

She may of couse have gone offshore - plenty did.

Recall pulling a mast on a little boat that sounds like that at halfmoon bay as it was being done up. Was kept at Panmure at the time, About 30 odd feet? Was definately called Santiano. Had a little wheel steering at the back and a cool little boat. Masthead single spreader rig.

Cant recall who owned it at the time tho sadly...

Archived