Soanar ultrasonic antifoul...

too_tall

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=YS5600

Anyone had any positive experience with this? A friend just installed a 4 channel setup in his 13m launch, and promptly ran his house battery bank flat due to not having any shore power, solar or wind. As of yet, I have no idea as to how effective the system will be, but he is now getting his shore power sorted :D

Lots of good comments but like a lot of products range in price all claiming the same.

Some needing hull penetrations and some not

Another that can be brought in NZ

http://pcmarine.co.nz/index.php?page=products&cat=corrosionandfouling&pd=sonihull-ultrasonic-antifouling-systems

and more about the same product

http://www.ultrasonic-antifouling.com.au/how-it-works.html

Would be interesting to know if there are any interference issues with other systems onboard, like ultrasonic tank level sensors for example. I know of one person who had a distressing time with an ultrasonic pest product that caused him to develop migraines whenever he was close to the device for any length of time. Would be a bugger if you happened to be sensitive to it and you spent a lot of money turning your boat into a migraine generator. :lol:

Guest Crafty 1

I always thought if a product was any good then the big organisations that would benefit from it the most would be using it.

As far as i can see the big commercial guys still paint there bottoms.

It does not work. I have always said it cannot work. I have worked with Ultrasound a lot and in the powers of upto 16Kw of Ultrasound, which is horrendous power levels for those frequencies.

Maybe Grinna can correct me, but I have never seen any ears on a Barnacle and never seen any on plants either. So the only way Ultrasound could actually work in stopping anything from growing on a Hull surface, would be to disrupt the plants and critters from attaching to it in the first place. To be able to produce enough energy to actually shake a Hull enough to do that over it's entire surface area would be huge. It is possible you could do so in small localised areas, but even then it would be a lot of energy. But to shake the entire Hull would just be impossible. The power required would have to be horrendous and then I would also be exremely concerned at what other harm is being done to the environment, especially any animals that can "hear" in that sound range. Plus, even though we can not Hear sounds from ruffly 16Khz (for most Adults) but OK lets say 20Khz and up, it has been well proven that we can certainly sense the sound. And I have felt pain in my ears with a 25Khz freq at a high level. Never heard a thing, but it hurt like hell.

Absolute sell proffesional units at several thousand dollars a piece. They fitted one to Fullers Ferry and at first it looked like it was a go'er. But it was winter and when Summer came along, the growth grew as per normal.

Its a Jaycar product, so i will be surprised if it worked. He used to send other management folk to hound us when we weren't making sales which sometimes was due to crappy products. I do know at the price that there charging that you could find a cheaper one else where.

On the same effectiveness level and cheaper there is a diving fairy and if you leave a fish head under your pillow for 3 nights he will clean your bottom

:lol: :lol: If I leave my old alloy rig under my pillow for 3 days with the Carbon Rig fairy pay me a visit??

I saw the Jaycars one and thought work for that small amount of money?? I don't think so. They were cheap as chips.

They have been trailing some on a couple of Akl alloy ferrys. OK in winter, didn't stop it but slowed it a lot. in summer, nope, couldn't cope with the warmer water bastard arsed growth feeding frenzy. They did double the number of units per boat, same result.

Archived