i-phone or Android?

Our computers run Windows, by choice and necessity. I have an iPhone 4, my wife has a t-Mobile My Touch 2 (Android). I like my iPhone and probably won't rush to replace it when my contract expires in May, but I don't feel wedded to it either. It has a few quirks I haven't been able to work around, but nothing that renders it unworkable for me. The 4S has some new features, but nothing I can't live without.

I'm probably geeky enough to like Android, but I don't find it compelling. It does run Flash, an advantage with some apps that need it, including one I'd like to use on my iPhone but can't.

To me, the phone is a tool. Being a smartphone with Internet access allows me to get out of my office, maybe even putter on the boat for an afternoon, something that was difficult in the old days. For now, the iPhone meets my needs adequately. I would buy from the carrier with the best coverage where you need to be, then shop for the phone that does what you want.

I have heard from many people that the i-phones are fragile - I have a M-Defy - not my choice, buggy as hell if I do not do as instructed and restart it once a day, but if I do that I have no problems.

It has survived some serious knocks, been drenched a few times, if it lasts another 2 months it should last forever with me. I seem to destroy a phone in less than 6months or they keep going and going and going....

Funny...I broke 2 screens on the Nokia N95 in 4 months and the third one has lasted for 3 or 4 years!

KM until 4 days ago I had the cheapest cell phone I could buy & regrettably it had a camera on it. Still have it actually, but it's my personal phone. 4 days ago in my new job I was handed an ifone 4. To make a phone call takes no longer or is no more complicated on that than the Nokia. Yes but they are a pain in the arse also and all the girls at home have them, I can't work those either but then I have had a wrongly named 'smart phone' for 8-9 odd years so that sure doesn't help with me and Nokias and many like that So which sort of person does that make me KM? A brave bastard just for giving me that opening to start with :lol: and nothing in particular, I only asked out of interest nothing moreYour judgement of the people who own an ifone or android is baseless. The who will pull out and start compairing phs first comment I'm assuming you are meaning AA. I read something a while back that suggested that's what happens. Since then I've watched on more than a few occasions and found it to be pretty true. Just watch and see for yourself. These things are not merely a phone dude. They are a multifunctional device which includes a phone function. Sounds like you need something like my Nokia. :lol: No I want my Palm back, I've found nothing that comes close to the ease of use and cleanliness of that one... or the OS, bit of both actually. Damn you to hell HP, may the work of 10,000 spammers invest your inbox daily

After a breif search for the box, Yes Mr Rigger one of those Defys. Nice enough but it, like most, does seem to be chocker of wank just for wanks sake, aimed at getting me onto and staying on the web and a huge pile of sh*t no one will ever use. You have to resart yours each day, I wonder if I'm supposed to?

Interesting to see so many with multiple phones, why's that. One for the family and another for the girlfriend??

Well KM I'll finish with this one as we're going into thread drift here as the original question was which sort of phone, not - as per your vernacular - which sort of tosser owns what. Yes I saw people pull out phones to compare what they had - around 10 years ago. And so maybe someone gets a new phone and wants to show it to someone. Where's the sin in that? I know so many people with both iPhones and Androids that it doesn't come up in conversation. It's normal! More to the point it's not like you to judge people for having toys - Oh Toymeister! Take a gander at this website - you'll find what you need there. :lol: :lol: http://www.big-cellphone.com/

Well KM I'll finish with this one as we're going into thread drift here as the original question was which sort of phone, not - as per your vernacular - which sort of tosser owns what. Yes I saw people pull out phones to compare what they had - around 10 years ago. And so maybe someone gets a new phone and wants to show it to someone. Where's the sin in that? I know so many people with both iPhones and Androids that it doesn't come up in conversation. It's normal! More to the point it's not like you to judge people for having toys - Oh Toymeister! Take a gander at this website - you'll find what you need there. :lol: :lol: http://www.big-cellphone.com/

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Good one AA. I was just trying to decide if only wankers purchased smart phones....or if they only became wankers after they had bought one. After your post I think it's probably ok again. Cheers!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You have to resart yours each day, I wonder if I'm supposed to?

the little manual that came with the phone says so - otherwise phone may become slow.

:think:

slowed and slurred speech = Easy off the rum a turn or three :think:

Well C29, the moment you hand over the folding stuff and become an iPhone owner, you will also immediately become some kind off show off tosser - along with around 50% of New Zealands population! :shock: Welcome to the club dude. :lol:

Well C29, the moment you hand over the folding stuff and become an iPhone owner, you will also immediately become some kind off show off tosser - along with around 50% of New Zealands population! :shock: Welcome to the club dude. :lol:

My phone'll be newer than yours....so there! :silent:

No need to apologise to me C, have fun with it. I must say I do like that function/feature/app thing where you can txt while the screen shows where you are walking while doing it, that should save a fair few nasty surprises for some but then I suppose that will spoil it for the watchers :lol: :lol:

Don't listen to AA. Calling someone a tosser just because they have or in fact don't have a iPhone is a tad judgemental I'd have thought :twisted: :wink:

I know a few tossers, knot many though, I'll suss to see if AA is right, but I doubt it ;)

And 50% of the population is wildly wrong, it's only about 13% of all cellphones.

21% for android OS

12% for all other OS's. Blackberry has be slaughtered massively.

46% of all phones used in NZ are now smart phones.

Personally features or specifically one feature, was about the only deciding thing in my choice of phone. I wanted one that was waterproof and at the time, and probably still today, there was only one phone that had that. I don't see any significant differences between Android and iOS bar android being more open but then I only use probably 5% of what these things can do........... on a good day.

Feck it's hot. Knot a good day to be on the roof that's for sure. All done and dusted in 2 more sweltering hours I hope.

I wanted one that was waterproof and at the time, and probably still today, there was only one phone that had that. I don't see any significant differences between Android and iOS bar android being more open but then I only use probably 5% of what these things can do........... on a good day.

Samsung also now do a water resistant phone, a galaxy of some description. I think its a midrange android, not a top end. I used to have a Sonim XP3.2 quest, marketed, incorrectly, as near indestructible, ip68 water proof, and in general, super rugged. Cost $1K for the most basic, difficult to use phone ever. It was also not indestructible, not at all, I had smashed 4 in 6 months, and eventually had to do a legal threat to get Vodafone to refund me the purchase cost of the POS. I also had a wee waterproof Samsung basic phone, which was actually a good wee phone, but very simple. Its battery life was seriously 15 days plus - I would go away for a week and not bother taking a charger. Apart from being very basic, it was actually a very good phone. Unfortunately it did not have any real functionality which I was wanting, and now sits in my desk draw awaiting the day I break my smart phone again, ready to spring into service in way an eager little fox terrier is always ready to leap into service killing a bunny :P

Ah ha, yes I see that TT. Looks to be more a cover than the phone though, assuming we are talking the same thing. It wasn't about when I got my phone. Samsung must be happy the way they are cleaning up everyone else at the moment. Pretty sure I wouldn't want to be Blackberry though, boy O boy have they been slaughtered and so fast in the fickle world of phones.

It's always annoyed me that in a country that is humid and basically a island that's often very wet, water or splash proof phones haven't really been that available. Mind you 1000's must be killed by wet which means 1000's need to be brought again, hardly an incentive to make them I suppose.

No worries AA, always happy to help but can I suggest next time you specify smartphones just watch your spelling. Smartphone starts with a S, knot a iP ;)

Got my roof all done and now may just have a tall glass of sunstroke. Man it's hot and I think I burned my knees :(

I've got to get myself a new phone because my phone (a Nokia N95) can no longer be held together with 100MPH tape and some of the keys work intermittantly.

So...... i-phone or Android? I'm not entirely sure of the difference (other than the proprietry difference) but was wondering if one is better at running apps like the weather app recently discussed on another thread.

What say you Crewsters? What is the phone of choice?

neither float..........think about it

Ah ha, yes I see that TT. Looks to be more a cover than the phone though, assuming we are talking the same thing. It wasn't about when I got my phone. Samsung must be happy the way they are cleaning up everyone else at the moment. Pretty sure I wouldn't want to be Blackberry though, boy O boy have they been slaughtered and so fast in the fickle world of phones.

It is a phone KM, but called a xCover.

http://www.samsung.com/nz/consumer/mobi ... 5690KOAVNZ

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_s5690_g ... r-4091.php

Naming is a little confusing. But its a phone, not cover. IP67 certified. Unfortunately it is only a midrange phone, with a mid resolution display and not overly powerful processor. Probably got good battery life however.

Had an iphone 4 for 5 weeks, good gimmicks but hopeless as a telephone. Couldnt make or take a call at home where I had had great coverage for 5 years of living there.

Sold the i-phone and went b-berry http://au.blackberry.com/devices/blackberrytorch/ - perfect reception straight away - like being on a landline and I do like the b-berry security features and its a serious business tool, not a media device although it does that well.

i-phone is cool for media device gimmicks but that's about it as far as I see.

EE

Archived