i-phone or Android?

I've got to get myself a new phone because my phone (a Nokia N95) can no longer be held together with 100MPH tape and some of the keys work intermittantly.

So...... i-phone or Android? I'm not entirely sure of the difference (other than the proprietry difference) but was wondering if one is better at running apps like the weather app recently discussed on another thread.

What say you Crewsters? What is the phone of choice?

People with iPhones will suggest those, those with others will suggest anything but. They are like the never ending 'which is better' debates like Hiney V's Stieny.

iPhone owners will be the most died in the wool enthusiasts but when pushed can't give a sound solid reason why and 95% of them will never have used anything else so have no idea anyway. They will also be the 1st bunch in a group to pull them out and compare which model they have and how many gigathings it has, it's like a high speed virus, as soon as one does they all pop out faster than yachties arriving at a free bar. Think I'm wrong? Just quietly watch a gathering of people and see what happens.

In reality there is no difference, both are total pains in the arse designed to make simple tasks harder/slower and for marketers to annoy you with sh*t you have no interest in.

On other forums I've been on this has led to heated debates, name calling, flaming etc. There is no right answer. In this context, my opinion/recommendation is the iPhone. It just works, which is good for the less technically minded (not suggesting you are :) ) and Apple being controlling in the way it is makes sure that the apps that run on their devices work. There is not the same rigor applied to Android apps.

On the other hand, Android phones can be cheaper, as can be the apps. There are also a multitude of Android phones to choose from, rather than just a few iPhone models.

In our household we have iPod touches, iPads, iPhones, and the original AppleTV (but not a Mac :eh:) and they all work together well (with iTunes).

People with iPhones will suggest those, those with others will suggest anything but. They are like the never ending 'which is better' debates like Hiney V's Stieny.

iPhone owners will be the most died in the wool enthusiasts but when pushed can't give a sound solid reason why and 95% of them will never have used anything else so have no idea anyway. They will also be the 1st bunch in a group to pull them out and compare which model they have and how many gigathings it has, it's like a high speed virus, as soon as one does they all pop out faster than yachties arriving at a free bar. Think I'm wrong? Just quietly watch a gathering of people and see what happens.

In reality there is no difference, both are total pains in the arse designed to make simple tasks harder/slower and for marketers to annoy you with sh*t you have no interest in.

What a load of shite KM! :D I assume you're taking the piss? :lol:

a smart phone
Oxymoron.

That's enough name-calling for one week.

I have had a good relationship with Apple products but had to shake my head yesterday when I read about the developers of iPhone apps being outed for setting them up to "oops we accidentally uploaded the entire contents of everyone's address book to our servers". :problem:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadge ... ivate-data

This one is easy. The people who have had an iPhone and went to android rate iPhones better

Those that can't afford iPhones claim that androids are better (but they are not)

If you get an iPhone you won't be disappointed. If you get an android you may be disappointed

Go iPhone

In my household, I have an iPhone any my wife has a HTC Android phone. I am not an Apple fanatic by any stretch of the imagination, quite the opposite actually in that I support Open Source where at all possible.

My observations are that the iPhone is easier to use but the Android is far more capable. We can get pretty much the same applications for both so that is no drama. The HTC has a much bigger screen and plays flash so you can browse to more sites. In fact when I'm on the boat I will quite often "borrow" her in doors one to check on weather and other sites that require a full browser to function correctly. She has now figured out how to put a password on it so it is a little more challenging, especially when I'm the one enforcing the battery draining vermin recharge rules on the boat. I do have a tendancy to be on the losing side of that argument :?

When I come to replacing mine, I will be checking the physical phone characterisitcs - not iPhone vs. Android. Mine has slightly better battery capacity, hers has a better screen. Mine fits in my pocket better from a size perspective, hers takes better photos.

Things I hate about my iPhone

- iTunes is a big fat app that I can do without (yes there is a cloud based option now but that is a pain)

- I cannot browse web sites that use Flash

- Apple control everything. It doesn't matter what I want for my phone, Apple has to agree. There are features available in hardware that have been deliberately turned off because of commercial agreements between Apple and a carrier.

Things I like about my iPhone

- It is asthetically pleasing. It is the right size and somehow it is just really intuitive to use.

- Application support is awesome. I'm not saying that Android is any different but I haven't had a case where I've gone wow, I wish I could have that app but can't as it's only available on Android.

I'm not far away from replacing mine so it will be an interesting decision process.

hers takes better photos

Do you have a iPhone 4S? The camera on that is pretty awesome.

- Apple control everything. It doesn't matter what I want for my phone, Apple has to agree. There are features available in hardware that have been deliberately turned off because of commercial agreements between Apple and a carrier.

Jailbreak :twisted:

Sadly I'm quite serious AA. What sort of device do you have in your pocket?

I have a black thing that does a gazzillion things yet takes 10 times longer to ring someone than the 1st phone I had way back in the day. I have next to no idea what 90% of the icons mean or do as they are called handy descriptive names like DLNA, Lattidude, 3Spot, Motolounge, Talk (and it seems to have nothing to do with ringing people), Flicker and many more. No it doesn't have any Help or instructions as to what all these things are/do..... unless those 2 things are called some wanky name also. But it does have 1001 ways to get to Twitterbook, Amazon and other places of zero interest, need nor desire. Delete those and it gets real bitchy. Typical technology of these days, does a pile of stuff just so the engineers can have a play with themselves as to just how good they are, rather than do what the punter wants it to do. Wank for wanks sake.

The 7yo Palm Treo (running Palm OS) this one replaced was a far far superior phone/device in every single way and it did everything I've managed to work out what this new one does. Fecking Telewank is turning off the best network NZ has ever had so sadly I can't use it no more.

One thing I have noticed is a lot of people have iPhones with crack screens (but still go) where I have yet to see a non-iPhone with one. Maybe that suggest they are physically a tad delicate?? I say 'non-iphone' as there are a gazillion different ones. I got one that is ruggedised and semi-water proof. So far it's taken a hammering and 2 swims (one was a long one) and so far survived. It does feel structurally a lot better built than a iphone.

hers takes better photos

Do you have a iPhone 4S? The camera on that is pretty awesome.

Only 3GS, hence the difference.

Jailbreak :twisted:

I have considered jailbreaking my phone but it is such a pain in the ar*e. Once broken everytime I upgrade the iOS i have to either either wait or work out a new approach. It all becomes too hard. If I was desperate enuff for the features I would buy an Android.

I have a LG Optimus 3d on the android network. it was half the price of the iphone and even has a 3d camera!!! the operating system is good, odd time it is slow but gets there in the end. Really no complaints. I have used an iphone and didn't think much of it. A mate I work with had iphone but went to android.

If you don't work somewhere where you can get support (or ask the question of someone there) then you might be better off with the iPhone, more intuitive / more responsive / more reliable.

I've got a Nexus S "Google phone" and it suits me down to the ground, but I'm happy to hack it, and I don't need it to be easy to use. On the latest version "Ice Cream Sandwich" at the moment and loving it, but you need to be prepared for the odd lockup.

If you're asking the question you should be able to afford it and you will not be disappointed with an iPhone.

Recently had to replace my phone due to a swimming incident at New Years and the old Iphone not having a water proof feature.

Went to a place called Car Phone Warehouse over here in the UK that pretty much sells all phones on all networks.

Got talked into a Samsung Galaxy S II by the manager of the shop, (I strolled in intent on getting the new Iphone), but I only agreed on purchasing it on the proviso that if it didn't amaze me like he said I could come back and swap for the new Iphone within the next month. I now have the Iphone 4S and am stoked with it.

I found the operating system a pain in the ass, the music player wouldn't let me sort my music as I wanted, the camera, even though 8mpx didn't seem as good once photos were up loaded to laptop and the most annoying thing I found, and this might be due to the face I have a mac as a laptop, was that getting it to talk to the laptop and sync automatically was not the easiest.

So yeah my vote Iphone. :thumbup: :thumbup:

KM until 4 days ago I had the cheapest cell phone I could buy & regrettably it had a camera on it. Still have it actually, but it's my personal phone. 4 days ago in my new job I was handed an ifone 4. To make a phone call takes no longer or is no more complicated on that than the Nokia. So which sort of person does that make me KM? Your judgement of the people who own an ifone or android is baseless. These things are not merely a phone dude. They are a multifunctional device which includes a phone function. Sounds like you need something like my Nokia. :lol:

I have had both. I break iphones rapidly, my 4S lasted a week before it was tapped lightly and broke. My older LG andriod phone ( which is a poor substitute for a Galaxy, high end HTC or Motorolla ) which I use as my farm phone has lasted nearly a year, been dropped several times on concrete etc, and still goes fine.

The iphone would not play FLAC music, nor would it happily stream music from the network unless I was foolish enough to install itunes, which I am not.

I had an original iphone - when they first came out, and found it similarly fragile, it broke after about 2 months when a tennis ball hit my pocket and it would not power up again.

I have had several different types of smart phone ( including Nokia n900 ). The Nokia was simply the best quality device from a hardware point of view, but overly complicated and not really a phone as such, more of a tiny computer.

The Androids have generally been the most usable for what I want ( I would consider myself a power user ) and have far more flexibility, and also the ability to be had in water resistant flavors, the iphones I have had are easy to use, but overly simplistic in what they offer, and, worst of all, exceptionally fragile things which I would never like to use on a boat, in a non office work environment, or even as a pretty active, outdoors oriented person. They all have crap cameras when you are used to a DSLR...

I have heard from many people that the i-phones are fragile - I have a M-Defy - not my choice, buggy as hell if I do not do as instructed and restart it once a day, but if I do that I have no problems.

It has survived some serious knocks, been drenched a few times, if it lasts another 2 months it should last forever with me. I seem to destroy a phone in less than 6months or they keep going and going and going....

Archived