Cav 30

southernman

Hi Everyone, I have a mate thinking of buying a Doug Peterson Cav 30. Can anyone help me with info on the design and if it would likely meet Cat 1 for a jaunt to the islands and Australia? He is overseas and looking to buy a cheapish smaller yacht to do a 6 month trip in when he arrives in NZ in a few weeks. Any other ideas on a suitable small but ex racer design that could be bought up to Cat 1 quickly would be appreciated. I believe his budget to be around 30 k for the boat itself.

Squid / Crew Ogre is your man. He sailed to Mars (or somewhere like that) in a Cav 32. Think he swore by it altho he upgraded to a Peterson 44 for the trip back if I recall?

Hi Everyone, I have a mate thinking of buying a Doug Peterson Cav 30. Can anyone help me with info on the design and if it would likely meet Cat 1 for a jaunt to the islands and Australia? ...........

Sneaky Heat, and probably other Cav 30s, were Cat 1 in the 1980s so it is not beyond the realm of possibility. If you offered conditional on Survey (which you should do anyway) and got one of the Cat 1 surveyers to do the job, you would resolve the matter. You woukld be better off with a Cav 32 if you could steal one for around $30k.

Hi David, have we changed sides, I was going to mention there are a few Chico 30's around at good prices as well.

The Cav 32 is stronger than the 30, not as fast in the light to moderate, unbeatable in the heavy. That one has a double bed - bonus!. Allow up to 20k t get it ready. At that price it would be hard to go wrong.

Archived