Groupama to pull out of Yachting and Football

Scotty3934

Not good news from one of the worlds well known yachting sponsors...

The below is translated from a French news site so excuse any grammatical inconsistencies

The mutual insurer Groupama intends disengagement of sports sponsorship in sailing and football (Lyon and Marseille), under the economic plan he has committed to improve its financial situation, said today its chief executive Thierry Martel.

Present since 1997 alongside Franck Cammas, Groupama intends to retire after the end of the Volvo Ocean Race, the browser just won the fourth stage, Mr. Martel said on the sidelines of the press conference presenting the results.

"We will go to the end of the race", to be completed in early July, assured the communications director of Groupama SA, Sylvain Burel, but "the result is more uncertain." As it stands, the partnership between Mr. Cammas and Groupama to run until 2015.

As for sponsorship in football, Thierry Martel suggested that the mutual insurer would not seek to renew the partnership that links clubs Olympique Lyonnais and Olympique de Marseille. This contract expires at the end of the 2011-2012 season, said the leader.

After a difficult year-end 2011, which resulted in an annual loss of 1.76 billion euros, Groupama has taken several drastic measures to strengthen its solvency. He has started a program to reduce cost of 400 million euros in 2014.

This plan includes reducing communication budgets and sponsorship.

That's a real shame. But I empathise with them, it's a tough call.

Part if the reason will be to avoid policyholders complaining "Why are my insurance premiums going up to fund your sponsorship of sailing....?" etc.

It's a tough one to defend in today's tough economic climate.

So Groupama is an Insurance Company?

Yes. A mutual (like AMI) meaning they don't have shareholders but are owned by their policyholders.

That's the problem sponsoring a global event with a local brand.

When I worked for IAG (which owns State and NZI insurance) I was approached by a couple of heavyweight names in the NZ sailing scene about sponsoring a global entry, including one well known user on this forum. I would have LOVED to have written them a big cheque to support their campaign but when we did the numbers with the Marketing guys we couldn't make a sensible business case because outside of NZ it was no use for us to parade the names of State or NZI insurance arou d the world.

Hence I'm surprised that Groupama have lasted as long as they have - it says a lot about the loyalty of their relationship with Frank Cammas - but all these big sponsorships come to an end eventually. It makes sense for someone like Puma who have a global brand but not a French based insurer.

Archived