Liveaboard Advice

So the decision has been made to buy a liveabord yacht and I would appreciate some peoples opinions of the best options. There are two major considerations:

1. We have $50-60K to spend

2. I am tall (6'3")

Ideally a centre cockpit would be great but perhaps not realistic for the budget?

Cheers for all the suggestions guys particuarly the Ogre, plenty of food for thought here. And any further suggestions are welcome.

There will be two on board, certainly in NZ for a while but further afield is always in the back of the mind. I think any liveaboard would need to be capable of it (just incase work becomes too much one day!).

Yup, boat-for-boat the US is way cheaper than NZ both for new and 2nd hand purchases. But for cheaper boats it might not be worth it cos the savings will get more eroded by things like paying for airfares and accommodation to visit/inspect etc.

But worth checking to see what your budget would afford you in the US in case you decide it's worth it.

Malaysia and Thailand are also very good. Many would be circumnavigators boats are for sale in this area, and often go formuch less than the advertised price. I know of a 6 year old Bene 38 - with new mast, rigging and sails after being dismasted last year, went for 90K. I know this is more than you want to spend, but it is indicative, and there are others. Phuket, thailand, and Rebak Malaysia are good places to look. Plus you get the opportunity to sail home!!! :D

Nice boat the C&C 35 MkII - especially for that money. Sails really well unlike a lot of those heavy US/Canadian designs. Helped take one from Vancouver to Glacier Bay in Alaska in 2011 and found it very comfortable and more roomy than most boats of that size. There were loads of them made and it is often considered one of the nicest of all the Canadian C&C designs. The MkI and MkII are quite similar but later models were quite different. A number have gone offshore.

Archived