Race Cancelled?

Yes - But. Wind, plus heavy seas, plus wayward unlit containers in the dark do not a happy yacht make.

Bugger really. The idea of a Tauranga to Auckland race has merit though - they would be past possibly container infested waters before darkness fell. . .

Press release

Rena debris forces cancellation of the International Paints Auckland to Tauranga Yacht Race.

The doubt created by the possibility of debris from the Rena as a result of recent gales has led to the

Tauranga Yacht and Powerboat Club cancelling this annual Easter Weekend event. Given the forecast for

continuing south-easterly winds any wreckage is likely to be scattered through the area that the racing

yachts will be sailing through during the latter part of the Race. The forecast for continued strong

easterly quarter gales and heavy seas was also a factor in the decision.

Race Chairman Ross Sheerin says ”The race organizing committee has been monitoring Rena

developments throughout our planning. Unfortunately the events of the last few days equate to our

worst case scenario in terms of holding the race. We have been in constant contact with Maritime NZ

and the Tauranga Harbourmaster, and have evaluated their input. Regretfully, and in respect for

participant’s safety, the only prudent option at this stage is to cancel this year’s race.”

Club Commodore Wayne Eaton adds “Our sailing season this year have been very challenging as a result

of the Rena disaster. We have had several events affected throughout the summer. Like everyone, we

look forward to when things return to normal, but until then, we will continue to be sensible in our

decisions.”

Ross says “We want to thank all our sponsors for their support and understanding, as well as the army of

volunteers that have worked hard on organizing this year’s race. Thanks also to our Auckland hosts, the

Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron for their efforts and consultation. We look forward to a great race

next year!”

The Auckland to Tauranga Race was first sailed in 1921 and is TYPBC’s premier annual event for coastal

racers. The race attracts boats from throughout the North Island who come to Tauranga for the holiday

weekend.

Further enquiry to Ross Sheerin 027 249 7269

hard to do when the yachts are in Auckland :think:

minor consideration :wink:

Sad for everyone that has prepared for the race - especially those who have taken their yachts to Auckland for the start.

Wise decision though looking at what I can see out there today - not a lot different from yesterday.

Better luck next year.

Yes - But. Wind, plus heavy seas, plus wayward unlit containers in the dark do not a happy yacht make.

Bugger really. The idea of a Tauranga to Auckland race has merit though - they would be past possibly container infested waters before darkness fell. . .

even if there is daylight you can't always see the debris in the water - way too risky for my liking - next year! (let's hope)

Bugger was looking like a good year for the dinosaur. went through 2 days after the last lot blew off in january and it was fine, wouldn't be to happy about going through at night though. now have to find my own way up to auckland as the bus is also cancelled and get the boat back.

Will, give me a ring on 0274323627, I have a crew member flying into Auckland tonight who might be keen to bring a car back to TGA if you are thinking of driving up today or tomorow morning. Ray

Hi Ray, also have crew coming from Oz so they should be able to take a car back, we are heading up tonight as the boat has to be moved off the berth in the morning,

Let me know if your guy needs a lift down.

Wil 021 552010

Archived