Boating in Bangladesh

And to think our boatbiulders need $30K table saws with digital readouts to get that perfect joint. Boat building over there is, Today you will learn how to cut a piece of timber with an axe and not take your toes off. If you take you toes off, you failed the class. Next student please.

30k digital ??? *#@k Off, never seen one in my life 3k's more like it or a great old secound hand unit. 30k :clap:

Oh right, that's what the less experienced Kitchen manufacturers use to cut up that "quality" MDF sheet they buld with.

Yeah I worked in a joinery factory for a mate just tohelp him out and they had the most amasing SMC table saw that cost them 30K. Stunning machine thoyugh. You could put an entire sheet of board on it and the table just moves along at the push of a finger tip. They have a few hunbdred grand in a point to point machine also. Sadly the factory got shut down in the earthquake and the last I saw, the Saw was being auctioned on trademe with a reserve of $5K.

Several years ago when we were in Kerala India I came across a "boatyard" there didnt seem to be any gate as such so just walked in under this big fishing boat that was been build mostly by hand. Massive timbers held together with the biggest nails I have ever seen. Probably like a 1920s yard here.We also saw sand mining in the river which was boys continuously diving down with a wok shaped pan, scooping up sand off the bottom, coming up and tipping it into a barge like canoe which when it was on the point of sinking they would push to shore. I guess it put food on the table and we think we are in hard times.

Archived