NZ vs Aus

yep its true.

Way more boats are likely to go to NZ.

First its on the gravy line, from the Islands. Second, it has a polynesian romance.

Third, even though there was a threat of beurecratic stuff , it seems that , this hasnt come into play.

Ok..NZ has some of the wildest coast line in the world...its bumping into the souther lattitudes with no safe ports. Most internationals dont go to the southern Island.

Oz is differant. VERY differant.

It has a vast coastline. I cannot stress this too much.

A Vast coast line.

Sections of our coast are one of the remotest (second to antartica) on the planet.

A lot of the anchorages in far north western oz,s charts are average, in fact, the most accurate information is from gutsy crusing folk.

To be blunt...

internationals and 99.9 percent of NZ sailors only ever touch the eastern sea board.

Sun..sand and .........lots of people and marinas.

Why would you jump the ditch to get the same as NZ with way more hassel and expense ?

So that is the truth.

Personaly...good.

The northen stuff of Oz is already under pressure..

reef zone protection bouys and moorings have been instaled for a while, because the coral has been stuffed by cruising boats. Sensitivity zero.

That greatest of joy ?, a bay to your self?...forget it...

Sheeeshhh...couldnt they all buy caravans so they could snuggle up to themselves and fire up the latest satelite telly program ?..

Most of my live aboard friends no longer go to the places tha you know of....

and i aint telling you where they now go.

But I would strongly suggest that the bay of Islands is a wonderful place for international boats. Great vistas, good people, all the services that an international boat would need. Easy access and legal complience. Its even cheaper (due to the dollar) than Oz.

Part of the problem is, where do you go once you get to Aussie.

If you carry on westabout you are getting into some problems (real or not) with pirates. To return to the south pacific islands you're facing sailing upwind although you could sneak up to New Cal and then island hop upwind when conditions are most favourable .... but essentially, Aussie is the end of the line.

Last night we were talking to a cruising couple who are just preparing to return to the pacific islands after their second NZ summer. After the winter in the tropics they'll scoot down to Aussie then ship their boat home to Canada.

Archived