Deaker on Sport v R Coutts

i think the saddest part of the whole 2003 defence was the marketing gurus, who came up with that aweful loyal add.

which was in black and white, and had people standing hand and hand, along the length of NZ right to the foredeck of the team nz boat. They stood stoney faced, it was a total scene out of Shindlers List....and did our reputation no good with the international media folk.

Yes it was not so much what they did but what had gone before and the way it was done. This is as I understand it.

Remember all this team rightly or wrongly were used in the marketing of TNZ up to this point. That was the “ us against the world, Kiwi number 8 wire ingenuity, underdogs, just the boy from next door V the billionaires of the world” marketing. The whole nation had embraced this as a reality. And it was only through the total national buy in, to being part of the team, that you saw NZ individuals and NZ corporates stump up with as much as they did. If all of NZ were not so caught up in it Telecom and Lion and Toyota wouldn’t have been able to invest so much!

And it was only through that massive National input of money and passion that TNZ got to win in the first place and hence that the Tight 5 were worth what they were to Bertirelli.

Remember the friction at the end between the Blake and trustees and these guys? They were demanding that the TNZ trustees hand over control and ownership of TNZ to them. Then they could take and make what they could out of the enterprise financially. After much soul searching and angst it was finally agreed to give it all over rather than have TNZ blow up and lose all that had been built up over the years from 87 to get TNZ to this point of dominance. So they said “you can have it then”.

But the deal fell apart when Tight 5 found out that they would be taking over an entity with no money. Of course this was always the way, at the end of every campaign all funds were exhausted in the eternal and costly search for speed. At the rebirth of the next challenge, the first thing that needs to be done is go find some money.

Enter Mr Bertirelli, pay these key blokes what is a pittance up front compared to the cost of running 3-4 AC campaigns to get a team up to speed, and he was laughing all the way to his Swiss bank.

T5 walk out with all the IP that all of NZ and our corporates had invested in, and set up the best funded campaign , and win the cup. I can understand why, $10million in the hand or maybe 2 in the bush?

Was it illegal? No

Was it immoral? Yes, by most peoples standards.

Most have forgiven or forgotten most of them by now, but I keep getting a reflux of that interview where BB insisted in absolutely carving up TNZ, after Alingi had beaten them in the final in Valencia.

He is a C%#k.

That is an excellent summation - and one crazy Username, Mr Keunt!

Yes it was not so much what they did but what had gone before and the way it was done. This is as I understand it.

Remember all this team rightly or wrongly were used in the marketing of TNZ up to this point. That was the “ us against the world, Kiwi number 8 wire ingenuity, underdogs, just the boy from next door V the billionaires of the world” marketing. The whole nation had embraced this as a reality. And it was only through the total national buy in, to being part of the team, that you saw NZ individuals and NZ corporates stump up with as much as they did. If all of NZ were not so caught up in it Telecom and Lion and Toyota wouldn’t have been able to invest so much!

And it was only through that massive National input of money and passion that TNZ got to win in the first place and hence that the Tight 5 were worth what they were to Bertirelli.

Remember the friction at the end between the Blake and trustees and these guys? They were demanding that the TNZ trustees hand over control and ownership of TNZ to them. Then they could take and make what they could out of the enterprise financially. After much soul searching and angst it was finally agreed to give it all over rather than have TNZ blow up and lose all that had been built up over the years from 87 to get TNZ to this point of dominance. So they said “you can have it then”.

But the deal fell apart when Tight 5 found out that they would be taking over an entity with no money. Of course this was always the way, at the end of every campaign all funds were exhausted in the eternal and costly search for speed. At the rebirth of the next challenge, the first thing that needs to be done is go find some money.

Enter Mr Bertirelli, pay these key blokes what is a pittance up front compared to the cost of running 3-4 AC campaigns to get a team up to speed, and he was laughing all the way to his Swiss bank.

T5 walk out with all the IP that all of NZ and our corporates had invested in, and set up the best funded campaign , and win the cup. I can understand why, $10million in the hand or maybe 2 in the bush?

Was it illegal? No

Most have forgiven or forgotten most of them by now, but I keep getting a reflux of that interview where BB insisted in absolutely carving up TNZ, after Alingi had beaten them in the final in Valencia.

He is a C%#k.

:clap: :clap: :clap: Very well said. Pretty much on the button.. That is exactly where I'm coming from. AC maybe you just don't get it!! The whole country helped pay for TNZ and RC and BB profited big time from it..

Am I the only one who thinks this may be a certain poster on 9999 posts who has gone undercover?

Was it illegal? No

He is a C%#k.

Am I the only one who thinks this may be a certain poster on 9999 posts who has gone undercover?

Was it illegal? No

He is a C%#k.

simon hull aka bull.

owner of tvs ?

:clap: :clap: :clap: Very well said. Pretty much on the button.. That is exactly where I'm coming from. AC maybe you just don't get it!! The whole country helped pay for TNZ and RC and BB profited big time from it..

I obviously don't get it because I don't have the same emotional attachment to it. But the way I see it the whole country regularly pays for our youngsters to be educated/trained but we don't get up in arms when they bugger off on their OE and never come back because they get a better offer to stay abroad. And regardless of he background circumstances I defy anyone here who was considering the financial welfare of their family to honestly say they would turn that offer down, if they were fortunate enough to find themselves in the same position. I just sense a tide of jingoistic envy/jealousy that these guys were luckier/clever than most of the rest of us - who wouldn't want to be paid a fortune to sail fantastic boats all day?! I would - but it doesn't make me bitter that someone else was smarter than me to work out a cunning plan (and throw in a bit of circumstantial luck) for achieving it!

Like I said. You just don't get it AC.. I can't explain to someone like you who sees things polar opposite to what I do.. Certainly not jealousy or jingoism, an believe me I know the difference!!

(I saw the worst case of Jingoism in the UK when Maggie had just taken the UK to war against Argentina, and sunk the Belgrano, something I considered close to a war crime. Could I get one Englishman to agree? I was just about hung for offering the opinion..)

Like I said, Dean Barker, I'm sure, had the chance to earn far more by jumping ship but he stayed....

Like I said, Dean Barker, I'm sure, had the chance to earn far more by jumping ship but he stayed....

Well he was sitting in Didas last night looking pretty bloomin glum!!!

(I saw the worst case of Jingoism in the UK when Maggie had just taken the UK to war against Argentina, and sunk the Belgrano, something I considered close to a war crime. Could I get one Englishman to agree? I was just about hung for offering the opinion..)

Yeah the Brits still get a bit heated when it comes to war/conflict. They still can't seem to get over WWII and the Germans... :crazy:

Well he was sitting in Didas last night looking pretty bloomin glum!!!

Probably not because he's poor!! Probably had a fight with Mandy!! :D :D

Archived