No life-jacket boatie an 'absolute clown'

sealegs

I don't think a life jacket would have prevented the boat being swamped and the motor from stopping...... he was still a clown tho'.

I have to ask, why was that outboard trimmed so high once he got past the shallow water? I would imagine that was why he buried the motor and therefore stalled it, as if the boat had not lifted to near 90 degrees it would have been fine. I have crossed many bars with breaking waves in boats of that size and never once have I come down like that. And I always wear a life jacket, radio the local coastguard before and after crossing, and make damn sure my fuel supply has more than enough to get me over without having to swap tanks!.

It's a very shallow beach for a long way out and even then, it only ever gets to 30ft out in the greater bay. The breakers roll in from a huge distance out. He did everything wrong and there were so many things. I can't understand why he even came in there for starters. Nuts to take a boat that size in there. He accelerated as he hit the wave, as TT said, he had the outboard lifted too hi, he hit the wave straight on instead of a slight angle and the silly'est of all, he should have looked for and followed the outgoing rip which doesn't have the waves as much.

Obviously a bit of nit but I don't understand your comment about the o/b angle. Cos the way I see it as his bow lifted in the oncoming wave it caused his angled o/b to actually become more upright/vertical/90 degrees etc. Whereas if it had been properly upright to start with, then when his bow lifted the o/b would have tilted backwards past vertical. With that amount of water I think the angle made little difference to how wet it got. But I don't agree the pre-tilt caused the problem.

The root cause of the problem was the lump of grey goo-ey stuff between that guy's ears.

No! Actually the root cause of the problem was that his parents pro-created.

With the OB lifted like that, it tries to lift the bow as the power comes on. So as he hits the wave and the Outboard pushes, it sends the bow skyward. The prop which is now in the wash of the surf, then cavitates and can't get a grip and the stern drops into the wash and the outboard has a go at playing submarines.

There is a big difference in wave type between a wave at a River Bar and a wave coming onto a beach. Mainly in that the beach type wave falls apart when it breaks and has a lot of air in the water and so not a lot for a prop to grab hold of. The Bar type wave does not tend to break quite the same and you can have a lot more control on it than the beach wave. Even though a bar wave can stand more and have a steeper back to it.

Obviously a bit of nit but I don't understand your comment about the o/b angle. Cos the way I see it as his bow lifted in the oncoming wave it caused his angled o/b to actually become more upright/vertical/90 degrees etc. Whereas if it had been properly upright to start with, then when his bow lifted the o/b would have tilted backwards past vertical. With that amount of water I think the angle made little difference to how wet it got. But I don't agree the pre-tilt caused the problem.

The root cause of the problem was the lump of grey goo-ey stuff between that guy's ears.

No! Actually the root cause of the problem was that his parents pro-created.

I had another close look at this clip and it looks to me like the punter is gunning the motor as he approaches each wave. With the OB angle this is driving the nose up more than if he applied gentle throttle with the OB trimmed down. Still doesn't change the root cause as so eliquently put by AC :)

Archived