Garmin GPS 550

Megwyn

RO has one of these.

On the 17th March, at 15:38hrs, it lost satellites.

I have tried to help it find them (it was looking around Sth Africa), but it still cannot find any.

When I turn it on, it shows the boat sitting on its mooring, but with a question mark over it.

Under Skyview, it shows GPS Error: Searching for satellites. It sometimes gets 2, 5, 8, 10 and 12 (I think that is right), at varying degrees, but remains "searching for sattelites" and the boat still has the :?: on it.

Left it searching all day on Sunday. Still cannot find them.

What I need to know - is the internal satellite receiver stuffed - and if so, can they be replaced or do I need to put a mushroom somewhere outside on the boat to get in the way of everything?

Can I sort this out myself (I have exhausted my intuitive abilities here), or do I need to take it to someone who knows their stuff?

Thanks

M

Megwyn, you could try a master reset. This will erase everything off the GPS and you may need to upload new firmware afterwards :cry:

To perform a master reset on the c5xx series (Assuming this is your model):

1. Power the GPS off (ensure that it is not connected to external power)

2. Touch-and-hold your finger in the upper left corner of the Touchscreen

3. Power the GPS on

4. Continue to hold your finger there until "Erase all user date?" appears

5. Remover finger from the Touchscreen

6. Touch "Yes"

Otherwise you may need to take it to a service agent. Jono from Safetey at Sea might be able to help you out.

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Miscellaneous

Goto https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=143

Select your Garmin model and then click on Software. Make sure your Garmin is connected via USB and install the browser plugin. It will auto detect the unit and lead you through the update (hopefully). I did it on my Garmin when I first bought it.

Mine is down on the boat otherwise I would post a more detailed response.

My old handheld Garmin needed help by showing it approximate location every time you changed position dramatically e.g. got off a plane somewhere a few 1000m away. Occassionally I had to help it out without the big move.

Yep, just got mine back from the boat and it lost the satellites due to poor reception inside. It came up with the menu option that AC is talking about.

To get there manually (assuming it is similar to mine) use the page button until you get the satellite page then press menu. One of the drop down options is new location. you can either choose automatic or set it manually by the map.

Hope that helps

The 550 does not seem to have a usb input . . . not from memory.

Will be down at the boat on the weekend and will have another look.

Yes - my wee garmin handheld had similar probs and I was able to eventually get it to talk to the satellites, but this just cant seem to communicate for some reason. Was working well, then suddenly stopped while my son was moving the cursor about the page . ..

Thanks for your help'

M

Hi, i work for a garmin marine dealer electrical shop. I fixed a GPSmap550 with this fault this week. The 550 is not a touch screen, nor does it have USB, i think AC is talking about the 5000 series, knot the 500? To fix the one i saw, i did a factory reset, which you get to from the home screen, i think under configure then maybe system settings, after that a software update, this is done with a blank SD card and your computer. Download the software from the garmin site, put it on the SD card, put the SD card in the chart card slot (unit can be on or off) it will notice the card and a screen to manage the card will apear, you select update unit, 2 mins later, all done. it may take a few mins to aquire after this, but it should work. It is possible that the internal GPS is faulty, but unlikly if it is seeing some sats but just cannot lock. Cheers.

Also, consider hooking this to your auto helm, using NMEA, if it's not already. You can use the go to or route to functions to get you AP to actually follow a line, rater than to just follow a bearing. If you have tide / wind, the auto pilot alone won't know / care you are no longer heading where you want to as long as you are on the correct compass heading. With a gps track set up, it will use cross track error to keep you on a line you set up on the gps. So if the tide is pushing you to port, it will steer you back to starboard to keep you on the line, not just keep at pointing at 130 deg, which is now at rocks not the middle of the channel. Hope this make since. Cheers.

Awesome - thanks Mattm - am downloading now and will try that next time I am out at the boat.

Have tried the factory reset several times. will try the card idea.

I will let you know if this is successful.

M

Whoops, got that very wrong. Appologies if I wasted anyones time. Reminder to self not to try and multitask :)

I hope the factory default works for you Megwyn but it looks like you know where to go if it doesn't.

Sorted - the data transfer worked, and the GPS now has satellites and indicates that RO is swinging around on her mooring.

You have to love this place.

Thank you every one for your advice, and thanks Mattm for your excellent assistance.

Thanks Ogre for making it all possible.

I would also like to thank my Mum and Dad . . .

Opps - sorry wrong speech :wink:

M

Also, consider hooking this to your auto helm, using NMEA, if it's not already. You can use the go to or route to functions to get you AP to actually follow a line, rater than to just follow a bearing. If you have tide / wind, the auto pilot alone won't know / care you are no longer heading where you want to as long as you are on the correct compass heading. With a gps track set up, it will use cross track error to keep you on a line you set up on the gps. So if the tide is pushing you to port, it will steer you back to starboard to keep you on the line, not just keep at pointing at 130 deg, which is now at rocks not the middle of the channel. Hope this make since. Cheers.

Perfect sense - and awesome to know thanks mattm.

Just have to convince Himself that the tiller pilot is a 'have to have' not a 'nice to have' :wink:

He seems to think we will use it only once a year. :wtf:

Just have to convince Himself that the tiller pilot is a 'have to have' not a 'nice to have' :wink:
Any real loving Wa would just go out and get one for her special man.

No pressure ;)

Any real loving Wa would just go out and get one for her special man.

No pressure ;)

Shite no KM - then I would be in the dogbox!

Gee, he might not even talk to me for weeks, there would be no need for RO's double bed that's for sure! :wink:

Gentle persuasion required lol. I can see that if it were hooked up to the GPS, I might be able to use it to get off the mooring and not hit other mooring blocks though :shifty:

:D

When we walk into places like Burnsco, it is me that gets a little breathless with excitement, not himself. And he really doesn't like me shopping there on my own, being afraid that I might just cut loose with the credit card. :lol: But then, you will only find me in a clothes shop when it is my daughters treat - man I hate those places!

Those shop windows displaying shiny rocks set in shiny metal do catch my eye tho - so there is some female tendencies in there somewhere . . .

When our Elliott needed centreboard repairs, at the same time that we were building the house, one of our sailing friends commented to Himself "Well, I am sure M will not mind if you divert several thou from the house fund to the boat fund."

He knows me well. :wink:

Archived