Why you don't own a boat in Wellington

benny14

Well, a friendly phone call from the lady at the yachty a few weeks ago enlightened me to the joys of boat ownership...

"Hi, um, well your boat got blown over in that wind last night"

Me: "Haha oh really?"

Her: "I wouldn't laugh if I were you"

Me: "Oh, oh bugger, ok I'll come down"

And this is what I found... "Bugger - No insurance yet..."

IMG_0563_small.jpg

Broken rudder...

IMG_0567_small.jpg

Crease in the hull (not sure how to fix this yet...)

IMG_0577_small.jpg

The force of the wind had ripped the metal pin in the ground, out of the ground, which was holding the boat down... Can be seen in this picture just...

IMG_0562_small.jpg

And to top it off... Some cheeky F**ktard had decided to steal one wheel... But oh so kindly put the wheel nuts back on the studs... *&%%&*#@^^&**&^!!!

IMG_0564_small.jpg

So the plan... Pull it to pieces, strip it back, fix her up, and give her a good birthday. She's a bit tired so it will do her wonders... Will keep you all updated with photo's along the way to how I'm getting on...

First question though... The top coat is obviously gel coat, how does one go with sanding this back and recoating? Can it just be painted over after a sand? Or should one re-apply more gel coat? There are a number of divots and chips which will need filling first, can this just be done with bog and gel coat over the top? Or best to fill the entire bits with gel coat?

Cheers,

Ben

Well, a friendly phone call from the lady at the yachty a few weeks ago enlightened me to the joys of boat ownership...

"Hi, um, well your boat got blown over in that wind last night"

Me: "Haha oh really?"

Her: "I wouldn't laugh if I were you"

Me: "Oh, oh bugger, ok I'll come down"

And this is what I found... "Bugger - No insurance yet..."

[attachment=4]IMG_0563_small.jpg[/attachment]

Broken rudder...

[attachment=3]IMG_0567_small.jpg[/attachment]

Crease in the hull (not sure how to fix this yet...)

[attachment=2]IMG_0577_small.jpg[/attachment]

The force of the wind had ripped the metal pin in the ground, out of the ground, which was holding the boat down... Can be seen in this picture just...

[attachment=0]IMG_0562_small.jpg[/attachment]

And to top it off... Some cheeky F**ktard had decided to steal one wheel... But oh so kindly put the wheel nuts back on the studs... *&%%&*#@^^&**&^!!!

[attachment=1]IMG_0564_small.jpg[/attachment]

So the plan... Pull it to pieces, strip it back, fix her up, and give her a good birthday. She's a bit tired so it will do her wonders... Will keep you all updated with photo's along the way to how I'm getting on...

First question though... The top coat is obviously gel coat, how does one go with sanding this back and recoating? Can it just be painted over after a sand? Or should one re-apply more gel coat? There are a number of divots and chips which will need filling first, can this just be done with bog and gel coat over the top? Or best to fill the entire bits with gel coat?

Cheers,

Ben

Gooday 'Benny' Whoah-up there - you're getting all to complicated. Let's go back to the beginning - the "pin pulled out" stop - Now go the persons responsible for putting the "pin" in the ground - - & ask them - how good is your insurance & what is there name. That's where the problem starts & that's where the problem finishes. FULL STOP There problem - big time - pin pulled-out - darn - who put the pin in & who rented me this place "to tie my boat down" "safely" ouch -by the throat, I'm sure. Ciao, james.

The yellow tie downs look to be broken due to old age/not strong enough for the job, the trailer seems to be roughly where you left it.... You might be stuffed trying to get a third party insurance company to help.

Hi Benny,

That sucks...

The photo looks like the hulls are no longer aligned with each other -ie the beam ends are no longer planar? That would probably mean giving some love to the mounting areas.

With respect to painting - there is basically 3 options (IMHO):

1. Repair the gelcoat- Probably the fastest/easiest option if its repairable. that is to say it's not gone chalky, and damage is limited to minor scratches etc. So basically some minor spot repairs followed by cut/polishing the whole thing. A careful eye could probably see the spot repairs. People are often surprised at how well old gelcoat comes up.

2. Re-apply gelcoat - lots of work sanding... Ie repair/prepare surface, apply gelcoat, then sand gelcoat back to a high gloss finish -gelcoat is very thick and does not self-level to a typical topcoat finish, it is designed to go into a mould which provides the high gloss finish. Although it will result in a tough gelcoat coating.

3. Paint over gelcoat - Probably more desirable (less work and may be cheaper) than re-applying gelcoat... same as above but once the topcoat is applied you are done, no more sanding/polishing.

Rob

Just saw that crease in the hull - fixing it depends on the nature of the damage. has it actually ruptured the laminate or is it more cosmetic? (although it looks like either would require a significant repair) Also depends on where the damage is - high load area or not. Thinking about it its probable that the resin matrix is damaged anyway even if the laminate is not 100% ruptured.

Its likely the repair would involve some careful love with a grinder and then a laminated patch (scarfed over a few inches either side).

Rob

Oh bugger, bad news Benny, sorry to hear this brother.

Best of luck with the repairs, will leave advice on that for others more exerienced than I, on fg repairs, to comment.

Archived