Thinking about a new home

zk-cessnaguy

Hello all, I'm wondering what people's experience of Westpark marina is? I'm contemplating a new home for the boat (currently on the piles at Westhaven) and at the moment, Westpark is looking mighty tempting. What I'm interested in hearing about is more what the culture is like there, what the customer service is like, whether there are any horror stories etc. Cheers Andrew.

I kept my boat there. No longer have the boat but still have the berth.

My experiences:

- Office staff have always been good to deal with.

- There are a good number of live aboards- I found them brilliant - would go down to check the boat before a blow and the neighbours would always offer to check the boat. Would tell me if anyone thy did not know had been paying attention to my boat. Offered tools / help when I was working on the boat. Coffee or rum drinks on the odd occasion.

- Depths - the 1.5m minimum was not correct, A pier close in was very shallow last time I checked. My berth on B pier had a touch over 1.5m at CD.

- Southern side of a pier. You often get muppets taking off from the launching ramp causing lots of wash.

- Not the cheapest place (might gave changed)

- As long as you clean up your mess and don't piss the neighbours off you can do alsorts of work on your boat in the berth.

I drove a corolla then - never had it held against me

I moved my boat there from Westhaven when i moved out Piha way a few years back. Concur with rigger on alot of points, especially the liveaboards. Im currently living in Sydney and im quite happy leaving my boat unattended for long periods at Westpark.

Some general comments,

- I draw 2.3m and only on a few occasions at low tide have i nudged the bottom. Its never been much of an issue.

- Its a very "boaty" crowd, not too many 'show-boaters'.

- Lots of international cruisers stay there and live aboard which makes things colourful

- Good facilities close at hand.

- My boat is 12.8m long and the marina mgmt were happy for me to park on a 12m berth, unlike Westhaven who insisted on a 14m berth!

- 24 hour security on site

- Nice relaxed atmosphere with a good community feel

- as long as youre courteous, sanding, painting etc is OK while in your berth.

- I was never mocked for driving an Alfa Romeo.

- The biggest challenge is getting to your boat sober without stopping for a drink and yak with the neighbours

All in all, i far prefer it to Westhaven

What are the services at the Haulout area like? I have often wondered if they might be expensive due to being a rather "closed" group. I know I got a fright when I asked what a lift was going to cost me, but then, Auckland in total is expensive. So in comparison, maybe they are average???

I'm happy there, i've been there about twenty years. I enjoy the Yacht club (Clearwater Cove) although we have no clubrooms, or clearwater, we are welcome in the MARINA (that is the restaurant and bar) but drinks are not YC cheap. The haulout is good in my opinion, but perhaps I'm biased there as my son developed it and was the proprietor until he recently sold to the marina and went cruising. However there are discounted rates for club members and the fortnightly yacht races are sponsered by the Westpark Travelift (and the local ferries) All the Travelift staff are friendly, the manager, Miranda especially so. So come and join us.

As above, all pretty good really and a great crowd there, both boaties and staff.

Cons, extra 1/2 hour for us from the bridge, not a problem for us as we go out for longer periods I guess, but it might piss you off if you were wednesday night racing?

Pros, All the stuff from the others, also very sheltered in those big SW storms we get. Sailed up the harbour in 40 knots plus one day with just Nina & I on the boat and was a bit worried about berthing so I dragged a couple of mates down from a BBQ just up the road to help. As we motored into the Marina it was getting more & more sheltered and by the time we got to the berth it was totally calm. Cue hysterical laughter from mates and numerous jokes about what a crap boat handler I must be.

Still 40-50 knots going over the top but a millpond in the Marina.

So pretty happy there all in all. :thumbup:

As mentioned above, i draw 2.3m and im halfway down C pier.

Occasionally im pushing sludge to get in/out of the berth, but its a soft mud bottom and ive never got seriously stuck.

The channel gets quite shallow at the entrance to the marina, but even at low tide with my depth sounder showing 0.0m under my keel, its never caused any real issues.

Archived