Who lives on their boat full time ?

idlerboat

Hi,

I would like a hands up from all those people who live on their boats . (not three days a week or weekend marina races..) but their boat is their home.

Jump in now and say Hi...

Us live aboards have other stuff to chat about...

See we are the formula one of the cruising world.

It is by our experimentaion and expense that the weekenders get the benifts..

The reasearch and development team that is us, gives us better breaks. (and they last longer).

Pass it on....

I am stunned that there seem to be so few OZ and NZ full time live aboards...

...or perhaps they are

A...out of internet connection due to a lack of credit...

B...out of internet connection due to to much time trying to work out why the HF is just not getting out..

C...out of internet connection due to there being not telcal in the remote pacific island that you are at...(in which case you didnt read this and I hate you)...

Yeah...One...now thats a start.

yep me 4.5 years too..wreckon we could compare notes for at least a few nights ..

....need a LOT more....if you know someone....

just get em to say hello here...

Swallowed the anchor late last year after nearly 6 years living aboard. Will be back living aboard once the new project is completed.

Lived aboard for a year and a half and loved it. Trying now to get the house ready for sale and then we are going for it aboard. Plan to cruise NZ for a few years then the worlds our playground.

Still a pipedream . . .

Oh how to overcome this lethagy

I dream of sailing the deep blue sea

But here I must stay for one year plus four

Tied to the needs of just one child more

Once he turns 12 you see

I shall finally be free

Free to go sailing away for a week

A day, or a month, whether sunny or bleak

Free to go racing, in or offshore

For I wont be needed daily no more

Until then, I shall dream and pretend

That I am sailing the high-seas

Forever, without end

I shall practice my sailing

When given the chance

And all my sailing skills enhance

I shall read and learn

Practice and test

All of these sailing skills

Without rest

For some day less than two years away

Finally my dream will win its way.

We're fulltime onboard, Myself ,the wife and son (8yrs old).

tied up to the marina wharf in Bundyberg. Have been living onboard for a few years now, suits us jus fine !

So how do you do it? Go from house, job and mortage to cruising full time?

I have always scanned trade me for yachts that I would feel comfortable living on. I think I could do it on a $250,000 to $350,000 boat.

Biggest thing stopping me is at the end, what are you left with?

Are you sick of sailing and don't want to do it again? (scary thaught)

Come back with no money and no job? (again very scary)

Best way I can think of is sell the house, buy a unit and rent it out, spend what's led on a boat and off you go :D

Then the question is, cruise NZ or go off shore? Think that is more down to what you want to do.

Wouldnt mind hearing about the pros and cons of selling up and doing it...? Alternative is to stay living on land and go boating every weekend (not all that bad)

Hi

We have lived aboard full time for over 17 years now. Started on a Cav 32' with 2 teenagers & the dog. Upgraded to Cav 36', after a couple of years the teenagers moved out, the dog was in dog heaven. Now trying to sell the Cav 36' & upgrade again as the grandchildren spend lots of time staying & enjoying the Live- aboard life style. Can highly recommend it!

So how do you do it? Go from house, job and mortage to cruising full time?

I have always scanned trade me for yachts that I would feel comfortable living on. I think I could do it on a $250,000 to $350,000 boat.

Biggest thing stopping me is at the end, what are you left with?

Are you sick of sailing and don't want to do it again? (scary thaught)

Come back with no money and no job? (again very scary)

Best way I can think of is sell the house, buy a unit and rent it out, spend what's led on a boat and off you go :D

Then the question is, cruise NZ or go off shore? Think that is more down to what you want to do.

Wouldnt mind hearing about the pros and cons of selling up and doing it...? Alternative is to stay living on land and go boating every weekend (not all that bad)

You do it ecause it is what you want to do. I "discovered" liveaboard cruising when I was about 13. Knew then it was what I wanted to do. Everything else was incidental (like finding enough money to buy a boat).

First time I started with nothing so didn't really have to give anything up or leave anything behind. Worked when I ran out of money then went again. Averaged 1 year work :2-3 years cruising.

Second time, had some houses, rented them out, bought a "throw away boat", spent a year cruising. Came back, decided I didn't like working, got a bigger boat and slowly went backwards, selling the odd house rather than come home.

You can do it on a boat that cost way less than that. Bottom figure maybe $50k. Have a look on trade me at Roulette 11 for $75k? Anything more is "want" not "need", and there are plenty of people would say I am being overly generous.

The cost of the boat isn't the killer, it's the ongoing cost of cruising and keeping a boat up to standard (again, smaller is better). If you already have a house, can you rent it out and go (remember yo uare going to spend less than $100k on the boat). If the mortgage is too much can you downsize then make it work?

I've never had a real job so not having one to come back to isn't that scary.

I do seem to tire of the life after about 7 years, it would be nice to have some other dimension to cruising to make it more "satisfying". Some people do charity stuff in the places they visit.

What are you left with? A rich, powerful set of experiences you could never gain in any other fashion. A different perspective, an ability to enjoy life, disdain for the consumer driven crap that we call society today, some real friends, deep satisfaction.

Greetings Osho and Broadoak..thanks for replying.

.....This is what intrigues me. I love my live aboard life.

It is simple in some sense, but In a compacted way I have all the day to day stuff of a "normal" house...

It is more of a hassel, but less of a cost....

But all of the above is not realy what it is about...

Its being able to drop the lines and go somewhere else......AND stay there. A self contained package, a self contained responsibility.

For me the freedom outways the lack of instant services and regular life style.

Again this is why I posted this...Its us the present liveaboards that I would like to talk too, so that those of you who have questions will probably find anwsers.

Living in a small space is a starting point...Its a bit Zen or Japanese thinking (for that matter any crowded place) Its not size but privacy that is the luxury.

Once on deck you have more space than the biggest mansion on the planet. Down below if its working; a boat is the most comfortable secure cave...its small spaces are companions. Places that you cant wait to get back to when the big wide world is being stupid.

But enough of me...its other live aboards that this post is about.

Jump up and say hello guys...(there is realy not that many of us !! ...sure there is journey boats who are 6 months on and then journey over) but true permanent full time liveaboards.....

....and there is obviously a few people who have in the past spent a bit of "permanent time" on boats...and miss it. :..

ps if you want to know costs ?

take what you are spending RIGHT NOW and add 20 percent...

then start working out how you can save...quite a few nights with calculator and realiity and it may be better than you think....just a thought

Leaving is hard enough! Selling house , what to do with the belongings, family against the idea, friends against the idea. And then you basically appear to be a bum to those in "society". Get rid of the car, the Ducati (tears), the dog. And then when aboard you'll be constantly leaving friends behind.

I think a large part of the fascination with living aboard is that personal safety becomes one's own responsibility, a bit feral maybe rather than having safety doled out by authorities.

In my situation, getting my wife to come aboard for an extended sojourn isn't easy either. Seems to me to be a very difficult business to arrange initially.

I lived on a boat from about 1989 till 95(when I moved to auckland). 7 of us, mum and dad and 5 boys (me in the middle) on a sd ft hereshoff mobjack, no pressure water, hot water or fridge. My younger brother sam is also a crew.orger (samin). My parents moved off the boat finally about 1year ago when they built a little shack on an island in hobart but still live part time on the boat. Basically as teanagers we all lived on the boat until we left home and mum and dad ended up on there for well over 20years. They left NZ for the pacific around 1996 and never really came back for long, just to put my 2 younger bros thru school cert then buggered off again.

It was a great lifestyle, a mix of corrospondence and high school for me.

I would love to be able to give my kids that kind of upbringing. Sadly I can't see myself being able to afford it for a long time.

I have a couple of good mates who took the plunge this year and headded up to the islands for the season. A real financial strain I think but could be well worth it.

What are you left with? A rich, powerful set of experiences you could never gain in any other fashion. A different perspective, an ability to enjoy life, disdain for the consumer driven crap that we call society today, some real friends, deep satisfaction.

Couldn't say it better myself. It is an unbeatable way to bring up children & prepare them for the real world while living an incredible lifestyle yourself. Just look at BooBoo and his amazing family. What more can we say :)

[booboo]

I have a couple of good mates who took the plunge this year and headded up to the islands for the season. A real financial strain I think but could be well worth it.

I just wish they didn't take a txt capable phone with them

Archived