Some thing different?

SloopJohnB

This boat was actually launched a year ago, the original mast failed on the 2nd outing, in about 6kts of breeze and 25° of cant. They've had a few problems with the keel too, and I notice there seems to be a lack of fairing on the outside of the 'donut'

Notice the guy on the keel is the only one not wearing a bouyancy aid!

I would suggest that a simpler solution would be to have a lifting daggerboard and the lead on a track above the waterline. Use a cable loop to winch it out along a telescoping carbon rail/wing.

Make the track follow a U shape into the bilge of the hull so you have some righting moment when you have the ballast in the middle, and jack it out to the ends.

Just pretend it's your super heavy rail-meat crew member.

Or simpler just have 20 ft long boards of carbon which can slide through the hull at gunwale level. each hiking crew member simply slides their plank from one side to another during a tack. then walks out along it...

for running flat you just centre the plank at have it sticking 5ft out eachside. like the racing dhows do in the middle east.

I would suggest that a simpler solution would be to have a lifting daggerboard and the lead on a track above the waterline. Use a cable loop to winch it out along a telescoping carbon rail/wing.

Make the track follow a U shape into the bilge of the hull so you have some righting moment when you have the ballast in the middle, and jack it out to the ends.

Or perhaps, for all that effort and structure, a couple of beams and a pair of hulls. Let's call it a trimaran say...

Why do people persist with making light boats and then adding lead to them to make them go 'fast'??????? :crazy:

Why do people persist with making light boats and then adding lead to them to make them go 'fast'??????

Not to mention Complex systems to control the lump of lead.

lead does not float! and therefore should have no place in a marine environment. (think I have heard something like that before)

Archived