sheeting angles

Tiller

Assuming your foils are nice go for 7degrees. Most "modern" race boats seem to end up about there. AC boats were more like 6 and 11+ would probably be more at home on a cruiser.

Sideways tracks are nice if you're not going to carry an overlapper. Have you thought about ditching the jib tracks completely? Have seen a few boats just using inhaul and downhaul lines to a ferule to position the sheet. I'll see if I can find some pictures.

Did some work work with Norths on sheeting angles when getting new sails for my 930. The suggestion from their design computer was between 6deg and 7.5deg in light to moderate weather.

We achieved this by using barber haulers to bring the sheeting angle in from the existing tracks on side decks. It worked too as our pointing improved a lot and our boat speed did not suffer.

Using the existing tracks still gave us the option to widen the slot as the breeze freshened.

a.f.u

The first real consideration before deciding on sheeting angles is what sort of leeway your boat is going to make.

A narrow, vee'd boat like an Etchell with a decent (efficient) keel area is an ideal candidate for a narrow sheeting angle

whereas a flat bottom barge will be much better off sheeted wide.

Some planing style sporties or light keelboats may struggle at 7 degrees it really depends on the type of boat you have.

Archived