Elecro San

ab1974

I need to put a holding tank into the Cat.

We've got two heads (one in each hull) and I am looking at leaving one as a straight overboard flush to use at sea.

The other one I want to put in a holding tank. However I've also been doing some research on Electro-San systems.

This will cost me a little more than a holding tank set up but will save me space and weight. Is also another thing to go wrong and from what I can gather use about 2amp per flush treatment.

Anyone have the Electrosan fitted and any thoughts??

Have seen the airhead, good idea but not what I want to do here.

How old Is the system on your dads boat Clipper? Is it a Lectrasan or the newer electrasan?

I think it is prob close to 15 years, def more than 10. Is a lectrasan I believe

This is off the cruisersforum.com site for what it is worth - dated 13 April 2009. It is an email response from Raritan and looks to match the current draw mentioned in the manual. I have no personal experience with these but was watching this post with interest.

As for our Electro-scan, a 12 volt unit draws approximately 5 amps for the first 30 seconds, then it switches to the second (treatment) cycle, where it draws 36-37 amps continually for an additional two minutes. The total cycle is 2.5 minutes, and it is supposed to be operated every time the toilet is flushed. Earlier model Lectra/San units (before 2005) drew 50 amps during the second (treatment cycle) after the first 30 seconds had expired.

The OP might be familar to some of you.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f115/lectrasan-toilet-waste-treatment-system-25300.html

Yep at an average of 1.27 amp/hr that is pretty lean, assuming one flush per hour.

You still need to provide 37 amps for 2 minutes per flush so it needs some careful planning. For me I figure I would need to put in another battery close to the head because even with the correct cable size I don't think my single 120AH deep cycle house battery would cope with that for long. The internal resistance starts to kick in when I draw 5A let alone 37A.

Then there is the electric vs. manual toilet thing that goes with it. It is an apealing thought not to have to leave the bay and empty the holding tank tho. I haven't done the math but I suspect the additional battery (for me) would outweigh the weight and size advantage.

Personally , I hate the thought of carrying loads of sh*t aboard. I rowed past a motor yacht at Pilot Bay one day which stank to high heavens. the next day the owner rowed over to mine and told me he had sprayed sh*t all through one cabin when a pipe to his holding tank split. I've never smelt anything quite like it!

I cruise with a boat which has one. Imagine a blackboard, chalk, fingernails, two cats in a stand off, imagine it going on for 2 minutes at any time of the day let alone the middle of the night.

Archived