Raymarine Smartpilot x-5 grand prix

How did you go with this?

my 2c worth

I have a Hydraulic ram to quadrant pilot. After 40,000 miles over 10 years I have just replaced 2 "slightly" worn hydraulic hoses. The seals in the ram have been inspected - replacement not required. During this time the unit has "consumed" 2 Simrad computer units - the 2nd requiring a new head (old one obsolete) as well, sothat was a couple of grand.

The motor also had new seals and bearings once...

It's been pretty good - steers the boat in all but the heaviest surfing conditions. But the computer units should not have failed...

Currently a simrad AP24.

Ram I designed and made myself, Motor (reversing type) is a RPU 300 Simrad.

Oh yeah - a magnet in the pump fell off the casing in remote Indonesia - I epoxied it back on, still working.... But it should not have come off!

I'd rate the Simrad gear as 7 out of 10. Support in NZ at 5 of 10.

sounds like Oracle has the same set up as WT. works well, though occassionally with the original barn door rudder that is extremly heavy on a reach at the tiller it wont cope.... not for lack of trying though...... half an hour on oracles tiller on a reach in 20 knots breeze and your arms are 1inch longer...!!!

a great system linked in to my other instruments and learns as it goes and surfs Oracle down wind extremly well with the gyro

Archived