Bayswater drowning at 8am

Fogg

I saw that. There are quite a few live aboards in Bayswater.. I thought it might be the old fella who is living out his days on an old wooden yacht at the beginning of F pier, but he is in his 90s, not his 50s..

Marinas don't spring to mind as dangerous places, people think of them as "a safe haven". But after a case in the UK a few years ago (think wife fell in first in winter - heavy clothes - husband tried to help her out, he fell in -> both drowned) many of the UK marinas installed pull down ladders along the jetties, that someone in the water could release.

Whenever I've got new people coming to AC, part of the safety briefing includes mentioned that IF they ever fell into the marina they should try to swim or hand themselves back to the shoreline and climb up the rocks. People just don't think about it.

Several years ago a well known New Zealander (whose name escapes me) fell out of his dinghy at Westhaven. He was a large bloke and couldn't lift himself out of the water and so died of hypothermia.

Lets wait a bit before the accusations fly eh.

I read about that poor bloke lambasted down in the SI for running away to get help leaving his kids in the truck underwater. 1 drowned. They found the poor guy had a brain tumour , didn't know what was happening or what to do and ran till his feet bled. In the meantime he'd been accused of being all sorts of scumbag.

Lets wait a bit before the accusations fly eh.

I didn't actually see any accusations there.

There you go applying logic and reason to crew.org.nz forum threads again! Sheesh! Will you never learn!?

Very Sad,

Didn't know him well just enough to say hello and nod to when launching the RIB

or in the lounge.

Marina's can indeed be dangerous places especially at night.

Archived