Benford 8 foot dink

Nice little stripper :wink:

I have one of the unitech boat building school 15 ft strippers which has done heavy duty over the last 3 christmas cruises. Had a thread on it somewhere way back when.

whale oil beef hooked, there it is. Since then its been from Whangaroa to the Mercs and all sorts of places in between, including being rolled down the beach at Medlands by a gust of wind, outboard included. We could have lost it last christmas though. Filled with water on that savage day around or on the 7th jan and came running up beside us a few times despite all the precautions. Nasty little sail full of trepidation that was.

Is yours going to sail Bbay?

Very light so far, I'll try to guess the weight when I finish her. It is meant to be a sailboat but thought I might just row her. I'll be using her as a tender so sails and mast might be a bit hard to hide aboard.

Link to Benford Design.....http://www.benford.us/index.html?scp/

I bought a book by Benford called Small Craft Plans or something like that and lofted it out of the table in there. Taken about a year but mostly just sitting in the garden under cover. Fun little project.

Just got the inside glassed, 6 oz all over. I think paintings the way for me Cam, if they look too attractive some people take uninvited rides in them. I've got a heap of single pack white so I'll spray her. Besides, there's some pretty ugly bits I want to hide. :oops:

Yes Megwyn, just finished bleeding all over it this morning. Lofting was the part that had me most concerned but wasn't too hard. I seem to spend most of my life sanding, must be Karmas. She's a Portland Yawl boat.

I'm worried for you bbay. Too much time on your hands and waaaay too much patience for you to be a normal person. :wink:

Glad there are some like you in the world though, because it's a fine piece of work mate.

Thanks Wheels. There's not a lot happening in the building trade in gissy , for a while actually. All this is playing into my hands as hopefully we'll be cruising full time this summer, all going well. The yachts pretty well ready and we have someone lined up to rent the house.

I enjoy rowing so this should be fun, might even invest in a small electric outboard for longer tiki tours. Your quite right about the patience Wheels, those little strips were a pain in the arse. I think if I do another I'll just screw the strips to the stations with a little gap between and then fill the gaps with thickened epoxy. Would be much quicker and tidier. The beauty comes from Mr Benfords Pen and all credit to him.

Yes surprised me Megwyn, there's a few bumps inside but its a dink so will have a rough and tumble life. Should have a beer poured over her tomorrow, see what she rows like. Think I'll call it Gasper, the friendly dink. :D

Archived