Life Jackets

Scotty3934

I did not refer to the AIT 2000 I refered to the AIS Smaller unit
I would have thought writing "AIT2000" six times and putting a link to a article on AIT2000's all in one post could be regarded as 'referring to'.

I don't think we have the same problems they have in the english channel either, probably never will have that much traffic.
Probably right Bbay but as the units are actively being added to navigation buoys/marks etc it could get crowed fast.

As Rigger noted there are 4500 transmission slots per minute, Class A transmits every 3 seconds and as it does it locks up the next time slot so ruff work out has one unit can use 20 slots per minute. So 225 units working and all slots are full meaning no more Class A and certainly zero Class B.

Either way, if you are fully crewed or coastal a AIS-SART is probably worth a suss but short handed or out in the deep blue with minimum crew??? Bit in 2 minds as to where it would fit on the 'must have' scale, personally it's knot high on mine as for what I want to do they would only be a catching hazard.

I note that I can fit a AIS-SART to my KRU jacket and make both activate with one pull of a string. That's nice to know.

I would have thought writing "AIT2000" six times and putting a link to a article on AIT2000's all in one post could be regarded as 'referring to'.

I don't think we have the same problems they have in the english channel either, probably never will have that much traffic.
Probably right Bbay but as the units are actively being added to navigation buoys/marks etc it could get crowed fast.

As Rigger noted there are 4500 transmission slots per minute, Class A transmits every 3 seconds and as it does it locks up the next time slot so ruff work out has one unit can use 20 slots per minute. So 225 units working and all slots are full meaning no more Class A and certainly zero Class B.

Either way, if you are fully crewed or coastal a AIS-SART is probably worth a suss but short handed or out in the deep blue with minimum crew??? Bit in 2 minds as to where it would fit on the 'must have' scale, personally it's knot high on mine as for what I want to do they would only be a catching hazard.

I note that I can fit a AIS-SART to my KRU jacket and make both activate with one pull of a string. That's nice to know.

But But But I thought you said 19 don't need the stuff and its dangerous to have on 78 selves and its all bull.

Just because I have a hyperlink to a page and whats on that page does not mean i'm referring to that page - there are other pages within the site and don't have hyperlinks to the specific detailed information. Its means what I have stated is detailed and explained at that web site some where.

http://www.comarsystems.com/comar_ais_in_action3.html

Click on this hyperlink and zoom out untill NZ shows and click on wind vessels names and all the other boxes and other pages other members because not you is so dead wrong now!.

And at least in fog 17 can see all the commercial vessels over 300 tons in or near you - direction that they are travelling, speed, wind direction speed, bouys, lights, achored vessels, and light houses defined more clearly and so forth. Got to be a addition navigation aid especialy if you have a second cheap chart plotter and additional for AIS receiving signal specific use and targets manoverboard with AIS personel locater beacon attached to his / her / it hydrostatic PFD.

Rigger wrote :;; as far as I know there may only be 3 active base stations in NZ so far - they were not cheap when I was pricing them - some $40k installed.

I think you may find there 17 or more Now.

Free base station helping hand - certain conditions apply, for the safety advancing minded people.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/freest ... ation.aspx

And you may find they are considerably cheaer now !11. :idea: :idea: :idea: :angel:

But But But I thought you said 19 don't need the stuff and its dangerous to have on 78 selves and its all bull.

but but but if you look at the line or 2 above your sentence don't I clearly say 'it's a catching hazard so knot for me?' The word hazard would suggest I think it's dangerous.

Just because I have a hyperlink to a page and whats on that page does not mean i'm referring to that page - there are other pages within the site and don't have hyperlinks to the specific detailed information.
So what you are saying is 'read what I write but I really mean something completely different'. OK, got that now Thanks.

I think you may find there 17 or more Now.

The Comar site is using Marinetraffic.com for that page you link too.

None of the Comar products are what you could call a base station. If I have missed one please post a direct rather than vague link.

BTW those 17 or more stations are not true base stations - they only receive

Free base station helping hand - certain conditions apply, for the safety advancing minded people.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/freest ... ation.aspx

And you may find they are considerably cheaer now !11. :idea: :idea: :idea: :angel:

FYI - The Marine traffic "base stations" are not type approved - they only receive and have no transmit capability - A type approved base station can create synthetic and virtual AtoNs as well as do a number of other things that Class A or B units cannot do - Also in NZ MNZ controls the use of them - that is if you run a base station (one that transmits via VHF) MNZ should have approved it as incorrect use of base stations can cause major issues if the different stations are not coordinated.

A Type approved Base Station - http://www.euronav.co.uk/Products/Hardw ... ation.html

Starting price 12,000Euros before taxes if any.

So that one has come down in price a little over the last few years. I priced a similar Saab unit including taxes, delivery and installation and it worked out at close to NZ$40,000.

Get a bigger boat. :wave:

but but but if you look at the line or 2 above your sentence don't I clearly say 'it's a catching hazard so knot for me?' The word hazard would suggest I think it's dangerous.

Just because I have a hyperlink to a page and whats on that page does not mean i'm referring to that page - there are other pages within the site and don't have hyperlinks to the specific detailed information.
So what you are saying is 'read what I write but I really mean something completely different'. OK, got that now Thanks.

No comment KM except the commercial ships will receive the signal from the AIS life jacket beacon, will it not..

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/defaul ... level1=140

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/defaul ... level0=100

In the market for a new Lifejacket / Harness. Whats the thoughts on the best inflatable for racing.

Also depends on your size. If you are an overweight person and race in the winter with heavy wet weather gear then the normal lifejacket in all probability will not serve you well as the jackets are made to normal size to height weighted people weights.

You will need a 275N bouyacy rating jacket if you are a oversize person or wear heavy full wet weather gear and boots. Also make sure the collar has a strap at the back to the waist strap. The lastest report testing jackets when inflated found the collar was uncomfortable on the neck as it pushed the head forward in the swells because there was no restriction preventing it - like on strapless inflatables collar to waist band strap.

Can't help myself.

Safety at Sea has noted a bit of a buzz about 275N PFDs.

Generally we recommend them for significantly large people. Say around 120-130kg depending on fitness. Or is they are wearing industrial type clothing, such as heavy boots, fishing or industrial clothing etc. Modern wet weather gear is actually relatively light and flexible. In our view it doesn't markedly impact on a person's buoyancy or risk.

A pouch style lifejacket is fine for inshore use. I have no problem with it for the 50% of Cat 4 that doesn't require a harness, or for dinghies, paddleboards and other inshore pursuits. We have recommended they are not allowed for Cat 1- 3 use at a recent YNZ conference.

The difference between a 150N and other 175N / 190N models is as much marketing fluff as real.

Can't help myself.

Safety at Sea has noted a bit of a buzz about 275N PFDs.

Generally we recommend them for significantly large people. Say around 120-130kg depending on fitness. Or is they are wearing industrial type clothing, such as heavy boots, fishing or industrial clothing etc. Modern wet weather gear is actually relatively light and flexible. In our view it doesn't markedly impact on a person's buoyancy or risk.

A pouch style lifejacket is fine for inshore use. I have no problem with it for the 50% of Cat 4 that doesn't require a harness, or for dinghies, paddleboards and other inshore pursuits. We have recommended they are not allowed for Cat 1- 3 use at a recent YNZ conference.

The difference between a 150N and other 175N / 190N models is as much marketing fluff as real.

Depends on what style boots - 3/4 length or booties coastal or ocean going winter extreme wet weather gear and I was mainly referring to long coastal and ocean passages. Some boats I have crewed on you want to see what they put in their pockets. tools, torches ect to save time and rucking at night to avoid waking others when you are on watch. The 275n almost guarantees they will right you if you face down the others do not which means they are not down now !!!.

Advise people they don't need 275N and they drown - could be a big law suit.?

I also note from your web site key words when 7 googles them - Hydrostatic life jackets and AIS jackets are stated but when I went to your web site could not find either listed on your site as being stocked.

A pouch style for inshore. A? doing a passage from auckland to wellington hugging the coastline in July with swanee shirt, longsleeve t shirt, and 100% polar collar knit wool jumper, and full heavy ocean going wet weather gear and gloves and laced boots and farmer brown socks.

Keep on helping others.

As one genuinely interested in the thread topic, I had had quite the battle wading through all of the BS (Bemusing Stuff)...

I recently purchased a manual Baltic Winner 150N (

...I also got the little SOLAS CFX light.

I've just got home after my first blue water experience - delivering a 60' cat home from Tonga. We had AIS, but did not see a single AIS target until the Russell Ferrry.

If I was ever unfortunate enough to part ways with the boat in the wide blue yonder, I would like to have AIS-SART and a GPS EPIRB. (and if possible some fresh beans, and a mini coffee maker for my last brew).

AIS so any awake and/or observant crew can turn around and bring me lunch.

GPS EPIRB so that my wife can be told where I drowned - giving much needed closure.

In moderate conditions (say, boat speed of 8 knots, wind of 20knots, 3m swells)... in the sea with no reference points, I will be gone from sight a few seconds after parting ways with the boat. I will be well and trully out of sight once the distressed crew who watched me fall off, get things under control sufficiently to return at some managable speed, to the point of MOB... (as well as pressing MOB, screaming like a girl, deploying a dan buoy, rousing any other crew...).

At this point, I imagine I would be grateful to be presented as an AIS target.

Next time I do a passage, I will probably buy some more toys to strap to my body.

I would also like to be part of some organised MOB drills, performed with a variety of clothing, equipment, conditions etc... preferably in the harbour, not in a pool. Its the kind of thing the whole crew could/should be involved in, and would make for a great event with beers and stories afterwards.

Having equipment is one thing, having the wherewithall to use it properly is a whole 'nother thing.

Disclaimer: I dont know much

As one genuinely interested in the thread topic, I had had quite the battle wading through all of the BS (Bemusing Stuff)...

I recently purchased a manual Baltic Winner 150N (<-- Hey look, someone mentioned a Life Jacket again in the Life Jackets thread!!). :clap:

...I also got the little SOLAS CFX light.

I've just got home after my first blue water experience - delivering a 60' cat home from Tonga. We had AIS, but did not see a single AIS target until the Russell Ferrry.

If I was ever unfortunate enough to part ways with the boat in the wide blue yonder, I would like to have AIS-SART and a GPS EPIRB. (and if possible some fresh beans, and a mini coffee maker for my last brew).

AIS so any awake and/or observant crew can turn around and bring me lunch.

GPS EPIRB so that my wife can be told where I drowned - giving much needed closure.

In moderate conditions (say, boat speed of 8 knots, wind of 20knots, 3m swells)... in the sea with no reference points, I will be gone from sight a few seconds after parting ways with the boat. I will be well and trully out of sight once the distressed crew who watched me fall off, get things under control sufficiently to return at some managable speed, to the point of MOB... (as well as pressing MOB, screaming like a girl, deploying a dan buoy, rousing any other crew...).

At this point, I imagine I would be grateful to be presented as an AIS target.

Next time I do a passage, I will probably buy some more toys to strap to my body.

I would also like to be part of some organised MOB drills, performed with a variety of clothing, equipment, conditions etc... preferably in the harbour, not in a pool. Its the kind of thing the whole crew could/should be involved in, and would make for a great event with beers and stories afterwards.

Having equipment is one thing, having the wherewithall to use it properly is a whole 'nother thing.

Disclaimer: I dont know much

Great Stuff.

If you do actual man over board stuff use a beer can or some other suitable object preferably orange or red object. I done it a couple off times with crew that wern't that experienced. It will surprise you. I did it because I wanted self assurance if it was me then I had a reasonable chance. I annouced to the crew sometime I will be doing a MOB with a beer can and I would be unavailable for advice - instruction ect. A hours later threw a beer can over and yeld MOB. IT was an education.

Don't do it for real as a practice.

In a city in new zealand the coast guard several years ago ran a course exactly what you have stated you wanted to join, They had 4 Fizz boats on stand by, fully aware when and how many. Unfortunately the excercise 2 guys into the water wore dark wet suits with hoods no life jackets. The four vessels plus the main over board boats went into a grid search in the reported area criss crossing the area.. Some two hours later they had not been recovered when darkness was approaching and they began pannicing. Just befor dark they recovered them. One guy in the water stated he was almost run over twice by the boats and they passed within yards on him 6 times.

The Coast guard reported the course - excersize was cancelled for future runs.

Don't know if the course has been reinstated.

If you want to test your life jacket with a different clothing on try close to shore where you have footing if goes wrong or in the marina.

How could a red beer can simulate a MOB situation?

Are you a freaky tiny chinese lady OC?

throwing the beer can instead of throwing a crew member over

I guessed that but a beer can. Use a person, it's a bit more life like.

There are 2 real large and significent hurdles in a MOB. If you find them you do, if you don't you don't, that's a 1st large hurdle. Then the 2nd is by far most MOB's reports have everyone getting stuck when getting the person back aboardy. A beer can an't nothing like a person when it comes to that.

If you wanna freak someone into staying aboard, just before dusk on the 1st day chuck a sheet of newspaper overboard as it's big but disappears real quick. That works damn well, you can see the hands tighten the grip onto the boat as it happens.

Using a beer can seems like flare practice by grabbing a empty dunny roll tube, pointing it upward and saying 'Wooosssshhhhh!! real loudly. But I suppose beer can and possibly even the dunny roll are better than doing nothing, as many do.

Had some friends off SF threw a hard lifering over as a MOB drill. When they got it back there was a big chunk taken out, suspect a great white.

Seems like as rather good incentive to stay on the boat!

Archived