tieing on tramps . . . KM?

Megwyn

On our way home from Hunters Creek yesterday, there was a small bang/twang/thunk sound. I looked across at the line that ties the port tramp on, and noticed it had given way. A quick knot and all was well, but I note that there are several places on the line that abrasion is doing its job.

Currently the line looks like a nylon flat line -about 6mm wide - and runs around the tube (above the ama), around the fibreglass rod, and through the gap made in the tramp by folding it over before sewing. It is at the entry to these gaps that the line has become abraded.

So. I am after a good long term solution. On our old wee tri, I used spectra line, but that also abraded. We ended up trying cable ties, but they snapped.

Is there any real reason that the line runs through the tramp when the rod is already there? Is it a safety reason that the line doesn't just attach the rod to the tube?

Thanks in advance again for all the knowledgeable answers I just know I am going to get :D .

Maybe you can help KM? Maybe it can come with that chain you are sending us? Oh - and Himself said it is two 2ton shackles and one 3ton shackle that he needs to sort his bondage problem. :wink:

M

tieing on tramps??

Personally we usually start off at someones place with a few rums then catch the ferry to town and guzzle more so after a while we'll see the odd tramp with cracking cleavage and then ......... Opps, hang on I think we maybe talking differing tramps ;)

I'd think you are best to ask that question of the more experienced multi dudes Meg. I know many have tried alsorts over the years with assorted results so if I had a multi, or a bigger one that is, I'd be asking the likes of TimW, Offender or those lads myself. We have a dyneema overbraied dyneema which one would expect to be pretty damn good but I still think you should sussed more learned opinions on that than I can offer.

The chain is getting closer, Aussies are that rich with so much money they don't need to move fast, or so it could appear :?

Good old Nylon.

5mm

Won't last forever but it lets you know when its ready to be changed (probably every 3 or 4 years).

Had no luck with anything with less stretch as the tramps point load and so the lashings need a bit of give

Thanks Tim.

I think that is what we have . . . Is there any reason why the line is run through the tramp fold, rather than just to the tube?

Offender?

There ya go Meg. Easy peasy and from someone who knows that stuff..... Oh and a fellow pitchfork owner.

Make sure you use a good one knot a import as some of those are just nasty and won't last a season.... judging by a lot of stuff we have seen flow in over the last year or so, most with no UV protection added.

Archived