Why it`s time to get serious about Wave Power

SloopJohnB

Just received a letter from my electricity provider - seems they are putting the price of power up by another 1c per unit.

Not a biggy for us, will increase our bill by around $3 per month - but it is another hike after one just a few months ago (which they only collect), and wondering if we really will see reductions in prices - ever.

If I stop using the computer, I might be able to drop the bill by about $3-5 a month - but the light in the family room that is on at night for the young fella would save more . . . :wink:

As a consumer, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it all. We had a pretty good run over a couple of years with Trustpower but they did some kind of "customer swap" with Mercury and we were handed over like hostages in that process. Mercury put up the prices pretty mercilessly and eventually one day we got cold-called from Genesis. This finally spurred me to check out that website that was advertised so widely and I found that, in our area, Mercury was the most expensive and Genesis one of the cheapest, so we made the switch with a reasonable degree of confidence.

Guess who has called twice over the past six months to "let us know that they are reducing prices in our area"? Of course the individuals making the call have no idea of the history either - happy to explain it politely but it is of course a conversation-stopper.

Anyhow the positives out of this somewhat-rambling story would be:

- it is a pretty easy exercise to see if you are getting a fair deal (via that website, you know the one with the post-it notes on the forehead)

- it was also totally painless to switch.

Sorry for the minor hijack...

It always seems that prices or fuel and power are quick to go up and damn slow to come down.

Another point about the Power providers that I think is wrong, is the penalty rate for ones not using enough power. So much for trying to tell people to save power. You turn off the Aircon and get hit with a Penalty.

Twice a day the ocean roars in and out of that bridge near Papakura on the Manukau. Easily seen driving over it on the southern motorway.... why not harness that??

Twice a day the ocean roars in and out of that bridge near Papakura on the Manukau. Easily seen driving over it on the southern motorway.... why not harness that??

Why bother?

We dont have a supply issue, energy companies themselves admit to reducing demand, and there are 100,000+ domestic rooftops gagging for a solar panel or ten.

Archived