Shonky awards

wheels

Alan, do have any reputable people I can talk to regarding fuel additives? I'm struggling with a couple of clients here who want to use snake oil as opposed to operational changes to save on fuel costs (in excess of a million bucks a year total) I had a mate who was a lubricants engineer for a big name oil company but the bugger upped and died on me a while back. My internet is majorly slow so any research done on my behalf will be payable in Tusker Premium. (not delivered)

Also the pressure point anti seasickness wrist straps

+1. I can vouch for the for the fact they don't work. Well not me, but I had to clean up the mess...

They work for me a treat. In fact, just putting pressure on the point by pressing with the other hand works for me if I use it as soon as the nausea starts.

The difficulty is getting them on the right spot - exactly, and they have to be used before, or at the very earliest signs of, nausea.

Alan, do have any reputable people I can talk to regarding fuel additives?

Not easily PW. Or to rephrase that, the typical "because I found it on the internet, it must be true" kind of comment can easily be used. There is much argument for and against to be found when you search the net. I can and will send you some info. (One I have is the actual % of fuel saving found from testing against what the product states is can do. Most can give only a 1% fuel saving at best.) So over a period of time and sifting through lots of information, slowly learning who to trust and who not to and finding out just exactly what many of the additives are made up of and tying that into my understanding of Chemistry, Plus what I learned from being a Wynns Industrial Rep playing with many additives and learning the "tricks of the trade", I have learned a great deal about it all.

I can go into the nitty gritty details, but won't right now.

The easy stuff to understand with Fuel/oil additives is as follows.

First rule. You can not turn organic matter (dirt, algae, Bacteria and Water) into a clean liquid fuel via a simple chemical additive. If we could do such a thing, the worlds energy problem would be solved overnight. So far all means of turning such matter into fuels require long complicated processes that require high degrees of filtration.

Second Rule No one has ever produced a fuel that gram for gram is cheaper energy wise than Diesel. So adding an additive to Diesel, may increase it's performance slightly, but ultimately costs more than any improvement obtained.

Most additives are very simple products hidden behind veils of mystery. Many are simply Kerosene Bases. The only additive that can be of possible benefit is a biocide to kill any growth. But a simple rule is, keep the tank clean by keeping the water out and you get no growth anyway. There are however, a couple of Fuel stabilizers on the market that work well for winterizing diesel. Simply put, they are the additives that tend to evaporate away from fuel over a long period or tend to stale over a long period of time.

Third RuleYou can make lubricating oils more slipery. But being slipery is not all that engine oils are about. For instance, 40% of the heat from an engine is dissipated via the oil. the oil spec is actually designed by the Engine manufacturer, NOT the oil maker. The oil manufacturer only makes a "package" to meet the engine makers specs. Playing around with those specs can cause other problems. In saying that though, there are good oils and cheap oils. You pay for what you get in general. And one very important point is that not all synthetic oils are good for your engine. A good synthetic still has to come from a high quality Base stock of Dino Oil.

Archived