Shonky awards

wheels

I have been thinking of something similar to this to post on crew for sometime now and just the other night, I saw this.

http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-and-te ... wards.aspx

Anyway, reading the Fuelset thread reminded me once again about it.

So here is one I want to place here as a starter. If anyone has any product that they know simply does not work, is snake oil or dubious, then add it.

The one that has really "bugged" me of late are those Magnetic Fuel filters. They are being sold by several companies now. They are not cheap and pure and simple, they do not work. . If any of the Marine Diesel engine shop guys are reading this, BE WARNED!!!At best you are going to have something come back and bite you. Like a damaged engine. But at worse, it could be much much worse.

I so wish that worked but.........

Something thats peeing me off is my Plastimo compass. The bulb is not working anymore but can't get any information from Plastimo website nor the manual on how to go about it. Looks like I will have to take the whole compass out of the bulkhead just to replace a bulb. I've read forums where they suggest one needs to replace the bulb and the wiring which is a Plastimo spare part at 5 pounds which is what $10 or so....for a bulb!!! Incredibly slack not having instructions on how to go about this and the only reason I can think of is that most would buy another brand if they saw how much trouble and expense it was. Just one of those little things......... :roll:

I have replaced the bulb in my Plastime Contest 101 with a simple LED fron dick smith, a big improvement. 5 of them cost about $7.00 a couple of years ago. Fairly simple to do I also put a piece of tinfoil by it to help reflect the light. My only beef with these compasses is that they use RED instead of black for the card, red is very difficult to read at night, especially for old eyes like mine. RFD would indent 1 but they don't bring them in normally. Maybe they think red is sexier??

Yes I agree Steve, they are hard on older eyes. I have to put my glasses on! Tore into it this evening and found the problem was a wire, those that are about as thick as 2 hairs, had broken where it was joined. I thought may be good to put both bulbs above the card but I do like the idea of LED's because of their longevity. Bit mah tongue in about half a dozen places pissing about with those creepy little wires! :wtf:

With regard to the magnetic fuel filters- well said wheels!

it always amazes me how many so-called reputable firms stock these things and swear by them

if you really(?) think they work then buy a ring magnet from Albany magnets for one tenth the price, but of course they don't.

if magnetic fields really killed bacteria, then every darn hospital in the world would have one!

and as for copper bracelets to cure arthritis- I WISH, then my sailing would be less painfully.

let's all publicise these scams.

Hmm... got me thinking of marketing a new product!

How about Homeopathic Diesel Bug Remedy?

Take 1 diesel bug microbe and dilute the little bugger to 10 to the power of 23 and add to your fuel tank. Not forgetting to say a prayer over the water first to make it 'forget' all the other stuff that it has been in contact with. Oh, also banging it on every dilution.

Who will offer me $100 for a small bottle of my new remedy?

:lol:

I have another. It could make us all very very rich. It's a Chemical for getting rid of Salt from your outboard and boat hull.

Except instead of calling it a chemical, I will call it

non-toxic, Environmentally friendly, 100% biodegradable, Phosphate and Chlorine free.

Available in 1ltr and 5ltr concentrates. 10mm can be diluted into 100lts of water. Of course, by law I would have to put it's proper chemical name and concentration in small print at the bottom of the bottle. Contents = 1000mls/ltr of Dihydrogen Monoxide. But I would make it really small print :wink:

I perhaps should add though, the products like "Saltaway" may in fact be a chemical that dissolves Salt and possibly a ligit product unlike say the magnetic filters. But what I am trying to say here is, So does clean pure water dissolve Salt. That's why the Ocean is so Salty :wink: , so why waste your money.

Like it... :thumbup:

Anyone remember this?

National MP falls victim to water hoax

He said dihydrogen monoxide "may have been described to her as colourless, odourless, tasteless and causing the death of uncounted thousands of people every year, and withdrawal from which, for those who become dependent on it, means certain death.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/38005/National-MP-falls-victim-to-water-hoax

:lol:

Bought a pair of nylon rowlocks from Fosters and one of them broke when I was rowing about the harbour last night. Be warned they are useless and worse ....dangerous. Glad my wife was not using the dingk when this happened! I thought they may have been quieter than the metal but they were not so there is not any advantage and a serious thing indeed when they break so be warned.

+ 1 for the LED Plastimo light repair using dick smith or similar LED's. They come in white and red. I too had the same issue with the card. So tried both colours out- happy with my choice. We have twin bulkhead compasses on a 7 metre boat. No problems yet and I changed them out over four years ago.

White nylon rowlocks. I have broken several of them but they are OK if they are kept in the dark when not used but obviously not much use in a every day yacht tender situation where you do not want to be stuffing around taking them on and off.

Archived