inboard motor hours

We don't go quite to T&V extent but do service regularly. Have also fitted an aqualarm to cooling water just after the strainer. (got that from RFD).

It has saved the engine on numerous occasions of blockage by seaweed, plastic etc.

We do not have exhaust shut off valve or shut off water before stopping but I do run the engine under load at least every 2 weeks without fail because of the salt atmosphere in the cylinders.

Have also fitted an aqualarm to cooling water just after the strainer.

I fitted mine to the discharge hose that feeds the exhaust. It is supposed to cope with the hot water temp, so I hope it does. The reason for placing it there is because I have had a cooling hose fail on the engine once. The sensor fitted at the strainer would not pick that kind of problem up. Still, at the filter is better than not having one at all.

The older small Volvos have a real bad rep, e.g. the 2000 series is regarded by many as one of the worst marine engines in history! So beware if it's one of those, particularly if it's a standard seawater cooled one (optional freshwater cooling = slightly better).

I'd say definitely Google the make/models and see what folks are saying about them, e.g. what typically goes wrong with them. And get an engine survey if it's any serious amount of money. Aaaaaand if you are going to install a new one, you can't go past Nanni/Beta (I just put a new Beta 20hp in, which Wheels may be interested to know includes a sump pump - hooray!) :thumbup:

Archived