Boom tent bracing....

SanFran

Getting ready for a FANTASTIC summer... So decided to pull the old boom tent out to modify, upgrade etc. Has anyone got any suggestions about the cross bracing, and what material might be best. Im thinking wood is a definited no no... possibly some plastic tubing? Anyone got any other suggestions. What has been used before and what works well.

I cut bamboo from behind the house. I have to replace it every year as it dries and splits. It is great as it is stiffer than sail battens or PVC The only thing that would beat it would be carbon fibre tube for function and durability ... but the $$$.

Getting ready for a FANTASTIC summer... So decided to pull the old boom tent out to modify, upgrade etc. Has anyone got any suggestions about the cross bracing, and what material might be best. Im thinking wood is a definited no no... possibly some plastic tubing? Anyone got any other suggestions. What has been used before and what works well.

I bought some fibreglass tent poles from Mitre10, they have the elastic through them so can be folded down when stowed.

We've got a Bimini now but the old boom tent had half tent polls that you put in the rod holders on the stern rails.

Worked really well as it gave you a fixed point to tie forward from and plenty of height down aft.

I've tried PVC and Bamboo.

Last year I went to thick sail batten. It's awesome. No problem leaving the tent up in half a gale.

Purchased it from Shann NZ Ltd in Rosebank road.

Cheers. Lots of interesting ideas. Like the idea of folding tent poles.

Was going to add (but the edit button has disappeared again :problem: ) that they are 12mm D so pretty strong /stiff and can be cut to size.

Archived