Racing alongside Fizzboats??

From Briefings

Yachting to meet power boating in a dramatic new Regatta concept

The Auckland to Denerau Fiji Yacht race was an opportune time to reveal plans for another major regatta to be held in March 2011. The dates to be confirmed are most likely March 18,19,20.

As the Fiji race fleet departed Auckland, the mainsail of “Wired” was seen sporting a large CLASH OF THE COVE graphic in its main sail. Before the crew set sail from Auckland’s Viaduct Harbour, all donned CLASH OF THE COVE shirts with the graphic emblazoned across their backs.

Marsden Cove near the entrance to Whangarei Harbour will be the venue for a totally new boat racing extravaganza. The event named CLASH AT THE COVE will include yacht races and offshore power boat races all rolled into one big marine festival.

Marsden Cove marina has been developing the mixed code regatta concept in conjunction with top yachtsmen who have for a long time harboured the desire for a different style of fleet racing which allows for significant onshore support and festivities. Marsden Cove which is owned by Hopper Developments is an ideal venue because of its unrivalled proximity to excellent blue water sailing and space ashore for staging a major festival.

Hoppers have a lot of experience with staging and promoting events such as the Northland Boat Show, Northland Seafood Festival, Offshore power boat races and the Whitianga Festival of Speed. CLASH AT THE COVE will combine a number of these elements to ensure a first class spectator and visitor experience.

Hopper’s Marketing Manager, Paul Shanahan commented that this will be quite a departure from typical regattas for a number of reasons.

Yachts and offshore power boats will work side by side in a mixed code regatta. Both will share facilities and socialize in a huge marquee. There may even be some mixed code novelty races where offshore power boat skippers become yacht crew and vice versa.

The three day event will include the Northland Boat Show and a major wine and food festival with live music acts to set the scene.This will require the Northland Boat Show shifting its traditional November 2010 date back in to March 2011.

As with all Hopper events, the entertainment component will be very high. It will have all the usual Hopper ingredients of action, fun, and a number of surprises,

All classes of sail craft and power boats are being invited to participate.

As Shanahan says, “it is all about putting some serious fun into yachting and power boat racing.”

For further details email paul@hoppers.co.nz

So who wants to go racinfg with a bunch of fizz nasties?

Cor. Another one of these "by popular demand but no-one can figure out who demanded it" deals?

Marsden Cove marina has been developing the mixed code regatta concept in conjunction with top yachtsmen who have for a long time harboured the desire for a different style of fleet racing which allows for significant onshore support and festivities.

Given some of the previous discussion we have had around here about lack of participation in the Coastal, BOI race week, BMW regatta etc... :eh:

Should add that these guys are trying hard and investing a lot in all of their events. :clap: However having sent our crew sprawling when we hit the pretty substantial cave-in of sand that extends well into the marked channel on the way out of the marina...if you want to attract keel boats you need to pay attention to those aspects too. Re-laying the buoys to acknowledge this or just advising people when they book yachts in to the marina would have been the basics in my view.

Interesting concept I must say. Could be a bit of alright if they can pull it off I think. A few competing and mutually exclusive angles to watch for.

And it would make one think that a badly timed comment in the after match could get messy fast. Due to my love of big stinkers, equal love of trying to sell them my yachts carbon credits and being the shy dude I can be, I'd end up in a ditch or as a floater pretty fast I'd expect :?

Fizzboat friend of mine jokingly challenged me to a race. "Ok" I said, "there's only one rule and I set the course". "What's the rule" he said, getting interested. "No refuelling"

I did a race many years ago where motoring was allowed. You kept a record of the time spent motoring, and it was multiplied by 4 and added to your finish time.

We got becalmed early on, as did many boats. All but one motored some distance till the breeze picked up, but fittingly, the winner at the end was the boat that did not motor at all. They did finish dead last on the water though.

offshore power boats = hot promo chicks!

I reckon this would be a great party! it would be good to mix it up with some other water sports.

I like the sound of it so I've asked for some more info for me to give to the sportboat committee :thumbup: :thumbup:

I guess they will tie it in with the Richmond YC Route 66 race.

I like the sound of it so I've asked for some more info for me to give to the sportboat committee :thumbup: :thumbup:

I guess they will tie it in with the Richmond YC Route 66 race.

Not sure how successful that would be... I was hopeless for the entire delivery home following the end of the Route 66...... :sick:

Something wrong with the Rum methinks??!!

Good dock party though.... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Archived