Was he in trouble ?

otto

Sailing back up the harbour early afternoon yesterday and a bit of action around Beam rock.

container ship with the pilot boat standig by and a tug heading flat out to it.

tug was impressive, some bow wave when they have the hammers down.

Tug arrived and proceeded to turn the ship around 180 degrees

Wondered if we were to have our own Rena.

Anyone the wiser

While we wait, we witnessed a collision Fri at Paradise Bay, Urupukapuka. A large sailboat steamed into the anchorage at 6 kn , no one on deck, obviously on auto pilot. Rear ended an anchored Beneteau 403 with a hell of a thump. Had they not hit the other boat they would have ended up on the rocks. I took photos and left the victims a business card just in case, but I did see the other owner go over and talk to them so hopefully he did the right thing.

While we wait, we witnessed a collision Fri at Paradise Bay, Urupukapuka. A large sailboat steamed into the anchorage at 6 kn , no one on deck, obviously on auto pilot. Rear ended an anchored Beneteau 403 with a hell of a thump. Had they not hit the other boat they would have ended up on the rocks. I took photos and left the victims a business card just in case, but I did see the other owner go over and talk to them so hopefully he did the right thing.

Bloody hell. Sounds wicked..

Saw the container ship. Pretty sure he had done a Smithy, as he was there for some time, before being pulled off and towed out to be anchored in the approaches, presumably for a Diver to have a nosy... I would say that either a Chief engineer or a pilot may be looking for a job this week..

I was doing a job done at Westhaven on Friday morning and heard the infamous five blasts of a big Ships Horn. I was thinking "someone was getting a telling off" to get out of the way.

I also heard parts of a Mayday call mid to late yesterday Afternoon. Could not hear it all, so don't know the details.

I was doing a job done at Westhaven on Friday morning and heard the infamous five blasts of a big Ships Horn. I was thinking "someone was getting a telling off" to get out of the way.

I also heard parts of a Mayday call mid to late yesterday Afternoon. Could not hear it all, so don't know the details.

I was right on the end of Bledisloe and saw and head that. (Loading steel). SEVERAL yachts sailing on collision courses with a ship doing a good 15knts!!!!.

That was a relay from Goat Is " We pick the same call being relayed by Otago.

I was right on the end of Bledisloe and saw and head that. (Loading steel). SEVERAL yachts sailing on collision courses with a ship doing a good 15knts!!!!.

About 5:30ish?

From a source not to be named.

Yes a ship did not have a perfect day - It did not run aground.

Big steel bits were used to slow it down / stop it.

A tug was used on standby after they picked up the big steel bits.

About 5:30ish?

No? around mid-dayish or earlier.

BTW the boat that caused the collision in the other story had a flag I couldn't identify

Mahurangi regatta, rob's photos, looks like a lot of those flags

Although one i had not noticed until you pointed it out.

Archived