Competence and Experience.

Fusion

A good friend of mine is trying to charter a small sailboat in Greece for a couple of weeks in August. Apparently he needs a formal sailing certificate or a letter from my Yacht Club detailing his competence and experience.

I done 2 pacific crossings with him and he has sailed thousands of miles single handed but he is not associated with a yacht club.

What are the options?

As I understand it Boatmaster is recognised internationally - look for a compact Boatmaster course? (they often seem to be offered in different configurations at different locations).

No doubts as to his ability but having said that, I have never heard of anyone doing the course and not learning something new (myself included).

The plus being that once it is done, any future charters become a simple matter of quoting his certificate number.

my understanding is that an ICC (international certificate of competence) or better is increasingly required for european charters. maybe you can still (just) get away without it in greece? but i've been led to believe that it's the way of the future.

anyhow, not hard to get, easy day on the water if you know what you're doing.

Try another Island.

The local harbour police in Greece apply all sorts of rules quite differently from each other.

They will be the ones the charter companies have to answer to.

Eventually you will need the certificate, but possibly not everywhere just yet.

my understanding is that an ICC (international certificate of competence) or better is increasingly required for european charters. maybe you can still (just) get away without it in greece? but i've been led to believe that it's the way of the future.

anyhow, not hard to get, easy day on the water if you know what you're doing.

looks like the best option $84.00

How do I get an ICC and how much does it cost?

ICCs are issued following an assessment at an RYA Training Centre – listed at http://www.cbes.org.nz/rya/ contact a training centre appropriate to the type of ICC you require (power or sail). Training Centres will charge for their time to conduct the assessment, and any training you may require beforehand. ICCs incur a admin/processing/certificate fee of $84.00 – payable to CBE.

Click here to download the ICC Application Form

Guest mental outlook

Yeah I don't think a Coastguard Boatmaster will cut it overseas.

Their courses were never recognised by anyone, even if they were/are good.

Speaking a while ago now though so may be different.

we used our ICCs to charter in spain last year. easy as. the training centres obviously charge a lot more than the $84, but we figured that since they're good forever, they'll be handy in the future.

ICC is a good way to go, make sure you get it for both Motor and Sail. Also a VHF licence too.

They are quite funny in the Med about having the right documentation.

Archived