A Tsunami warning has just been issued

wheels

Never felt the quake but I was out on a boat. Currently sitting in my office about 750' above sea level so all good. Due here in around 15 minutes if it hits. It appears a tsunami was actually generated but that's all the info I have.

from stuff a few min ago:

If a wave were to hit New Zealand the estimated arrival times would be: North Cape, 6.05pm; Auckland west, 7.06pm; Auckland east, 7.47pm; East Cape, 7.15pm; Gisborne, 7.39pm; New Plymouth, 7.51pm; Wellington, 8.03pm; Milford Sound, 8.20pm; Napier, 8.27pm; Westport, 8.30pm.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/8 ... on-Islands

Actually, I take that back. That is what I had read on some news report. But I have just taken a look at the NOAA site and they have issued a report to say all threats have been cancelled. Their measurement devices have picked up small wave effects at various Islands, but nothing of concern.

Seems to be a bit of surging going on at Gisborne this morning. The Met page here...http://www.metservice.com/towns-cities/gisborne Has webcam of gissy hbr this morning and if you run the curser from left to right across the page the time lapse appears and I can see surge at around 7 to 9.

I don't know where to get up to the minute information on these events. The various news services are not good enough being mainly focused on entertainment values rather than public information. This forum was the best source I had last night.

Sequence taken in Vila yesterday. This was an 11cm wave. Quite scary how something so small can inundate the area so quickly. Actual rise was a lot more than 11cm.

post-1018-141887216594.jpg

Sequence taken in Vila yesterday. This was an 11cm wave. Quite scary how something so small can inundate the area so quickly. Actual rise was a lot more than 11cm.

It was a search and destroy troll hunter tsunami. They are getting closer and on time now.

We were in Lata late last year, as was the ICA rally before us. Lata is actually in a big bay open to the north so the 0.9m mite be less than it was on the west coast. The news hasn't mentioned anything about the reef islands nearby.

its pretty remote but they still have cell phones and 3G internet.

Archived