Draft Unitary Plan

Adrianp

The lightest colour is the one house per section areas (Old Auckland City gets off very light here) slightly darker multi-unit sites and the gold is high-rises. For instance Orewa is solid high-rises near the beach. You can see there is very little light colour on the shore, a hell of a lot of infill planned there. How these people are going to get around I have no idea

South.jpg

Central.jpg

North Shore.jpg

Hibiscus.jpg

Agree - I can see the sense of high rise - but put it around the transport hubs (train stations). The Northern motorway is packed now, why add high density and make it worse? Or are they going to push a rail link over the bridge for us??

Bear in mind that the Unitary Plan is just another re-hash of the Auckland Growth Concept that was adopted by all of the Auckland Council's way back in 1999.

Since then all of the previous Council's went through a Local Government Amendment Act mandated set of District Plan changes to implement that "vision". Those changes all specified time frames for intensification in various locations all of which have largely passed without any results.

The Unitary Plan just re-does that all over again, just in a different way with a further approx 10 year "Super City" delay.

In terms of intensification the Unitary Plan is just another layer of governance failure for actually delivering more housing to a starving market.

When it comes to development the centre left governance of NZ (central and local) is very good at control but completely abysmal at facilitation.

If the Unitary Plan is not going to come into effect for three years then the housing won't come onto the market for at least half a decade when you factor in the time frames for the resource consents (which will be fought by local communities who don't want intensification in their back yard thank you very much), building consents and physical construction.

You can understand why Nick Smith wants to open up greenfields land to provide the opportunity for some short-term housing supply.

I just hope that all of the develoment opportunities presented by the Unitary Plan all come on stream at once. The benefit of that is then developers then have to compete on quality. At the moment, and as has been the case in the past, the supply market has been so strangled that people are so desprate they will buy any leaky and poorly designed sh*t.

How is pumping a sh*t straight out through the system any different from haning ones arse over the side and letting go?

The applause after from other anchored boats????? :oops:

Electrosan as far as I know (which isn't far!) makes the only approved effluent treatment system? (Plates of titanium turn saltwater into acid...hence the expense)

"Treatment" must mean sterilisation of anything biological in it? A cup of janola in there with the..aarhumm.. and that should kill the bugs? I must admit, I still wouldn't want to SWIM in it!!! Or that which comes out of an electrosan for that matter! I would have thought the law would be better worded ("....200 metres of persons IN the water...")

Electrosan as far as I know (which isn't far!) makes the only approved effluent treatment system? (Plates of titanium turn saltwater into acid...hence the expense)

Not Acid, but Chlorine. Salt is Sodium Chloride and the electrolysis process takes the Chloride away from the Sodium which produces Chlorine. Chlorine in sunlight then converts back to Sodium Chloride again.

What I have never understood, is why you are not supposed to through vegetable scraps over the side within 5Nm of shore when you can dump a bucket load of brown smelly stuff just 500m from shore.

so... what does the sh*t convert to!!??????....

Fish food. You know that snapper you caught..well.....

Seriously, there in lies a slight problem. Treating sewerage in this way does not make it go away. If anything, it makes it hang around longer. Chlorine kills all the microbes and bacteria that break it down. So it has to float around in the Saltwater for a wee while to get rid of the Chlorine that has sterilised it and wait till bacteria starts to work on it again.

Lived in various Pacific Isles when working for the OZ Gov years ago and they ALL do their morning walk along the flimsy jetty to let rip into the water (and mouths of some unmentionable waiting fish!). This has been going on for YEARS. The Solomon Isles, they blast away right there on the beach!! (where the tourists swim without asking first!!).

Reality is, who's actually died from typhoid (etc etc etc) in the SEA!!??

Archived