Dodger murky clears

Chewing Gum

:shock:

One of the recent marina newsletters up this way recommended a new service that had delivered a good result - will see if I can dredge it up and PM it through. Suspect it was a franchise and you would need to track down someone more local but a starting point at least. :thumbup:

It is apparently a difficult job to remove and replace them. I had mine done, they cut the clear at the edge of the sunbrella and then stitched another clear in. The main problem was getting a seal between the 2 layers of clear, leaked like a seive. A careful application of silicon stopped the worst of it.

It is a exceptionally easy job to replace them, takes me about 30 minutes and I've done heaps of them. You stick double sided tape around the edge of the old window on the inside, place the new clear on top, trim it roughly, sew it around then trim it properly. Then cut out the old window from the outside.

I have never had a problem with water coming between the two layers of clear around the edge, I guess the double sided tape takes care of that.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Our clear screen is strataglass and it was looking very smoky much to my surprise as it is meant to be the Rolls Royce product and is certainly not cheap. Maybe motorway pollution in Westhaven is the problem ?

Tried Automotive Cutting compound medium grade yesterday and it worked a treat - thanks SWELL. Will let you know how it goes long term. Also tried the toothpaste and an expensive Meguiars product for plastic. Both were not much chop. I may give the Plexus a shot also.

Yep we'll done, cutting them back will squeeze some more time out of them, but the reality is if you want to keep things looking nice then 5 years is the lifespan for clears in my experience.

But they are cheap to replace.......................well compared to most things on boats.

No problem CG.

The 3M and Mirka acrylic based polishes are so far ahead of all other cut and polishes it almost makes your eyes water.

They do not react with surfaces like the old petro chemical based compounds.

I did some 3 Years ago and still good .

That's interesting SWELL. The product I used is Farecla G3 and it does contain solvents and abrasive is aluminium oxide (from the MSDS sheet) so hopefully it doesn't affect the STRATAGLASS too much. Maybe I should given it a rinse with some mild detergent afterwards. Where do you get the 3M product?

G3 is great stuff but i prefer the Mirka and 3M for a bettet finish.

Carcolours in Albany is where i get it.

Most have VOC but the newer product are containing less and are designed for the new water based car finishes which are very similar to modern clear plastics etc.

Works great on perspex polycarb...

No problem CG.

The 3M and Mirka acrylic based polishes are so far ahead of all other cut and polishes it almost makes your eyes water.

They do not react with surfaces like the old petro chemical based compounds.

I did some 3 Years ago and still good .

Anyone know the name and spec of the 3M product here. Struggling to work out which are water based and which are petroleum based.

Archived