930 gudgeons/pintels

Ptown

I've got brass(?) rudder gudgeons and pintels (which might be stainless if I looked again), and some serious slop in the steering which drives me mad.

I have plastic bushes made about 18months ago which have worn out.

What's the fix? I would say plastic is not the way to go again.

Is brass too soft? do people have both fittings in stainless? Is this more durable?

Alternatively, who supplies these types of fittings if new is the best option?

Nolathane (if you want "plastic") or Bronze, or preferable is gunmetal .... but clearances need to be sufficient so they don't bind.

Brass will give you plenty of clearance as it happily corrodes in saltwater

I have, or had until Saturday, stainless on stainless. Freaking heavy but then so is the bucket full of all the deck gear nut/bolt fixings. I think I could fund a new kite from the scrap value. Anyway no drama with SS on SS. More slop in the liteweight tiller than the gudgeon's.

When you find the fix tell Mr Squid V, he's a sloppy bugger................... as is his boat ;)

My boat has SS gudgeons and pintels with oil-impregnated flanged bronze bushings that are about $7 a pair. Replacing the bushings is part of my annual maintenance, like replacing prop zincs. They’re a slip fit into the gudgeons, so changing them is no big deal. I suspect the oil impregnation keeps them from galling. They make the rudder really snug when new and loosen up slowly over the year.

Can't answer the where locally -- I'm not far from Seattle -- but Googling "Bearings New Zealand" shows several possibilities. Bushings are just bearings. You'll need to measure OD, ID and length or take the old bushings in with you. I'd bet they're a pretty common item.

Try Auckland Bearing Distributors in Wairau Valley or Manukau. I know they have boaters working there, in Wairau at least, so should be able to help. They have a massive range of stuff.

Archived