ETNZ AC72 Sailing in San Fran

Atom Ant

Oracle looks fast there.

But was it a race or what.?

Both going to the same mark during training and ended up in a little bit of follow the leader

Oracle look pretty quick, but I don't think you can take anything from the speedETNZ are showing , other than they are fast through gybes. Oracle looks to be shocking in comparison. Although how would you know.

Although how would you know.

Agreed. Although I think we are going to know pretty quickly when they finally line up though!

Just in a fleet race on the 5th of July and then the LV kicks in a day or 2 later where O can't play.

So if no one sandbags in that one off race we'll get an idea of how they all sit but as that fleet race is most likely only there so O can have a quick preview of all it's competitors leaving time to tweak their boat, one could assume the challengers would be silly to go hard out.

jumping ship in 2000, jumping ship 2004/5, watching a 1 second loss by etnz 2007, edge of the seat close racing, turning up with a plane to win the thing, hatching a plan with some filthy rich guy, sponsors doing runners cause of gfc, sending the 72 down the mine, 1 decent challenger and 2 so so, 1 of which is going through a death roll, apparently wants to come play in the challenger series??? do you think russ knows what went wrong with his master plan yet?

knot me, if oc turn up for the fleet race, the 3 challengers should go head to wind for 2 minutes while oc bugger off into the distance then start .

knot me, if oc turn up for the fleet race, the 3 challengers should go head to wind for 2 minutes while oc bugger off into the distance then start .
That's pretty much exactly what I'd do even if my plan does seem to involve more beers than yours :lol:

You'd be crazy to show your hand in a invitation race especially if one of the others has many weeks in which to fiddle with their boat.

but etnz looked like they could hold the speed more through the corners.

its going to be interesting.

I agree. I think OR are a click fast top end but ETNZ have the turns sorted. It's a small course and that may be what counts.

It will be great racing :thumbup:

I've tried not to say this, I really have.

But FFS -

CHALK FLEW UP!!!

It is one clip. ONE CLIP. On one Day. With the two boats not even lining up against each other... they're just in the vacinity of each other, sort of. At best. AND you cannot even begin to guestimate how hard either team was or was not pushing at the time. AND even if you could, what are the chances that at the time the first video of them near each other was shot, that they were both pushing 100%? Why would they be?

You can't even see both turns in the entirety. For all we know, ETNZ could have completely stopped earlier in their turn...

Look, I WANT to thinK ETNZ are right on the money... I WANT to believe they their turns are better, or that their freeboard is this, or that their...

*shaking my head*

You cannot be serious if you want to claim that that can be interpreted in any way as meaningful. It's the America's Cup. Name me one instance in the long history of the event when two boats have come near each other before race one of the match and anything at all can be taken from it. One instance. Anyone?

It is ALWAYS bluff, shadow-boxing, posturing and gamesmanship at this stage. Always. Why? Because it doesn't matter and there is nothing to gain and everything to lose.

We are excited. I get that. We're desperate for it to mean something. I get that.

But it doesn't.

Chalk flew up!

Well, one thing for sure.

When racing starts the bullshit stops...

Great saying that. Cant remember who said it first though.

Well, one thing for sure.

When racing starts the bullshit stops...

Great saying that. Cant remember who said it first though.

"When the flag drops the bullshit stops" Kenny Roberts US 500GP racer of some renown in the seventies..

Archived