What is Bucklands Beach like....

Zozza

....as a place to moor your keeler?

I may have to the opportunity to purchase a mooring there.

I guess it might be a bit lumpy in a N-NorWesterly but ok otherwise?

Ferry dodging?

Tides?

Boat thieves?

Launching tender?

Thanks for any input.

depends on where in Bucks - past the terminal is best, or close to the marina see wall, try not to be on the outside rows as i know a number of boats hit by fizz boats at night. If you are before the terminal then you normally have wakes to deal with constantly

depends on where in Bucks - past the terminal is best, or close to the marina see wall, try not to be on the outside rows as i know a number of boats hit by fizz boats at night. If you are before the terminal then you normally have wakes to deal with constantly

Mines at Little Bucks and this is all true. Hit 3 times in two years and the "5 KNOTS" is anything but!!... its like Queens Street on a friday night on a summers weekend morning or afternoon. Gin palaces roar past so big they have their own gravity!

My boat is up the river past the ferry terminal. It is good up there. No ferry or gin place wakes. Also it is sheltered water so does not get rough. Parking is good esp if you are a member of BBYC as the car park has security cameras and the security people from the marina come round at night.

Depends how big the boat is? Mine draws 2.1 and we get in and out fine, and only have a problem if the low is lower than a .45m low...

Dont know much about the river but something to keep in mind is the security of your vehicle. Depending if you're day sailing or going away for the weekends, e.g. Shoal Bay is a good spot and close to Westhaven but I'd never leave my car there overnight. Okahu is ok but parking is $20 a day unless you risk it in some of the uncontrolled areas.

Okahu is fantastic- parking is free by the dinghy racks and a few other places. Orakei Marina security also do a great job monitoring the whole area. I've been moored at Okahu Bay since 2009 and never had any security issues.

What about depth. Looks shallow in the Tamaki river at low tide.

We draw 6 foot 6 and have given the pipis a scrape or 2 at the second to last port hand marker (heading out). Theres a bend in the channel and a mound of some sort. Thats the East route.The west route no problems! Dead low is dicey but all other tide states we haven't toughed bottom yet.

Archived