Which fourstorke outboard and how much HP for a 2 ton Yacht?

Zozza

Hey guys thanks for some food for thought so far. Excellent stuff.

Interesting stuff about the pitch and propellor. To the folkboat guy (johnmac), I thought their displacement was nearer 2 &1/2 ton? .

Nordic Folkboat displaces 1960kg.

Two tons = 2036kg (approx).

Hey guys thanks for some food for thought so far. Excellent stuff.

Interesting stuff about the pitch and propellor. To the folkboat guy (johnmac), I thought their displacement was nearer 2 &1/2 ton? .

Nordic Folkboat displaces 1960kg.

Two tons = 2036kg (approx).

You had the real deal Nordic folkboat huh. They are known (affectionately) as the volkswagon of the seas from stories I have read about that legendary design. Think a Kiwi even sailed one from UK-NZ.

I had some weird russian designed 8hp two stroke called a "Wind" on the back of Astro, which was 25feet, and pretty light.

In flat water and no wind, we could do 6.8 knots. Being a two stroke it was quite happy running at darn-near full throttle for long periods. Always seemed quite economical too.

On our worst ever outboard powered run, straight upwind for a few miles with quarter of a kite, and some mud, flapping from the mast head in what the keelboat fleet said topped 60knots, we were down to around 3 or 4 knots. That was in flattish water, any decent waves and I think we would have been standing still.

The NZTYA recommends 1/4HP per foot OA. Probably not a bad guide if your boat is in that size and weight range.

We have used a 5 and a 3 horse on our 1400kg SR26 both seem to get to hull speed pretty easily in flat water but definately need the extra punch of the 5 when the waves pick up. Had to tack upwind under outboard once to make any headway.

Personally I prefer a 2 stroke to a four as they seem to handle the abuse a bit better and don't mind being run sporadically for short periods and the reduced weight and complexity is certainly a bonus.

Archived