We need a public wharf in Auckland

Hi There,Many of you will know me from the Westhaven Thread.I am not in a position to comment further on the Westhaven matter.

However what has become very apparent is the fact that Auckland does not have a public wharf suitable for larger deep drought vessels to tie up to.In my correspondence with the marina I was given a list of wharf's that are public and for us to use.I consider myself a pretty good boat handler but I am not prepared to drop off or pick up from too many of these wharf's.

1) Orakie wharf

2) The Landing ( launching ramp pontoon)

3) The Viaduct

4) Launching ramp pontoons Westhaven

5) Hern bay wharf

6) Torpedo wharf

7) Bays water

8) Stanley bay

9) Birkenhead

What amazes me is that Water Front Auckland make lots of noise about opening the water front up to the public with improved access and a wish to retain "the heritage" and "create a working water front".They seem happy to "put our boats on postcards" but not provide for us, A large part of the public.

I am interested in your responses.

Cheers Pete :D

I'll watch this one with interest. Last year we brought the boat down and wanted to pick up som family in the city. Couldn't figure out where and they eventually drove up here to be picked up.

Orakei is not a option....I tired that last year and its far to dangerous for anyone that's not a navy boat and I don't see how I could get a fixed keel boat into the landing or the public launch area at westhaven. The others I havnt tried so I don't know what they are like..has anyone else tried the other options stated?

I was told (by security) that the far side landing inside Viaduct Harbour is PUBLIC. There is a time limit??

Oh realy, How long ago were you told this

Just had a look at their website and a PDF chart of the marina. Its the one numbered 21 in the "Eastern Viaduct Marina". They way I understood it was its for authorised users OR those picking up or offloading passengers etc., You can't tie up and bugger off to have some lunch!

I if it was a public wharf, Westhaven marina surely would have included it in there list ,as above.

I wonder now that Westhaven is "private" - (we own it but somehow they consider it private) The council are only interested berth holders and money people."to hell with the average rate payer?" :D

http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/council ... rt1407.pdf

The vested land has been reclaimed to provide better manoeuvring width for boats within the Lighter Basin and public access protected by a conservation covenant to a width of 10 metres along the new western edge of the Lighter Basin.
Resource consents granted to the Auckland Regional Services Trust in October 1996 would still ensure that continuous long-term public access around the perimeter of the Viaduct Harbour is secured,

Could these be interpreted to mean public access from the water as well?

The dock in the Viaduct sort of in front of O'Hagans was public and I have tied up there a few times in the past. No charge for a few hours. It was a few years ago though.

That's my understanding too. Its for loading and unloading so there has to be someone with the vessel at all times.

Yes you have to call viaduct control and they will raise the bridge, 77 from memory and is 24-7.

The dock outside ohagens is now no longer public.

I used it quite a few times in the past, was a good place on a nice Saturday night if you had some people on board, boats would come from HMB, all over really and tie up, there was never any trouble but alas, the fun police have changed the rules and it is no longer public. I even tried to hire it one new years and was told it was rented. I rented another berth and the fun police chased away every boat that came in to tie up to it... it was empty the whole evening, shame is it was a very handy wee berth to sit in the dock of the bay

So

1) Orakie wharf

2) The Landing ( launching ramp pontoon)

3) The Viaduct

4) Launching ramp pontoons Westhaven

5) Hern bay wharf

6) Torpedo wharf

7) Bays water

8) Stanley bay

9) Birkenhead

Option 1 - you'd have to be insane or not like your boat very much.

Option 2 - too shallow

Option 3 - closed

Option 4 - too shallow

Option 5 - don't know it

Option 6 - as above

Option 7, 8,9 wrong side of the bridge.

Not looking good.

It's pretty shallow around Herne Bay Wharf isn't it? It's only about 1m below CD around there.

Torpedo Wharf is in Devonport (so the wrong side of the bridge for you Squid) but at least its about 2 m below CD at the end of the wharf.

Bayswater and Stanley Bay actually look like the best bet in terms of water depth and shelter (but they are on the North Shore).

Last time I was at Birkenhead Wharf it was pretty much all taken up by ferry terminal ..... didn't look like any public wharf facility to me (but I might be wrong) and its on the North Shore as well .... which is fine except if you want to use a public berth on the city side of the harbour.

Herne Bay wharf dries out, there are no bollards or cleats to use and a dangerous looking set of steps.Good only for tying a row boat to.

It really Pis---s me off that all the other sports are catered for by the council.

Rugby,league, Football, Hockey,Netball even Speedway are catered for.

The trailer boat lot have launching ramps,Dinghy sailors have ramps and dam near take up the whole beach at times.Us that have larger vessels have nothing.Years ago we could tie up at (If memory serves me rite) Ferguson wharf, they stopped that and told us we would be catered for at Westhaven, which we were until now.We have been stopped from tying up to the Public steps by the ferry terminal.

We kept getting kicked out but they never provide a suitable alternative.

The "City of sails can't even look after there sailors"

Hi Pete, the sale and purchase agreement between Auckland City and the Government regarding Westhaven Marina guarantees the public perpetual access and it would be of interest to us all to seek some clarity as to what the boundaries or prohibitions to public access are.

One of the driving intentions of securing Westhaven as a publicly owned facility was to perpetually enshrine its recreational status and your example of being excluded to a public park in this case is a appropriate cause for real concern.

I am drawing two threads together here and excuse my drift but we had originally lobbied long and hard for a over arching broadly representative body that would be primarily tasked with the longterm welfare of the entire Auckland waterfront.

The buy back of the 20% private share holding in POAL was a vital linch pin in securing the ability for the community to see a less complicated and more consultative future for the harbour. POAl in its past wisdom had sold key parcels of public land holdings mainly to Viaduct Harbour Holdings Ltd for a pittance and therefor we all lost the clear opportunity to seek a coordinated approach to the redevelopment of the entire waterfront.

Public access is pivotal but a complex target.

Originally when the old log farm was redeveloped for the Americas Cup defense the developers sought to exclude the public waterfront access and their interests but were seen off by local council.

The entire future ability for the us all to secure access to the remaining publicly owned portions of the Auckland waterfront requires a stern effort from all interested parties.

Wether that be clubs ,private boat owners, public and commercial users there is now no more important time to engage in this matter.

Archived