Spencer 30 Avilable - Free to Good Home

grantmc

Hi,

There's a project boat down here in Wellington going free. She has been sitting on a steel cradle (also part of the package) in some guys backyard for at least 25 years. The boat has been stripped inside and the hull and deck also back to basically bare timber/glass. Am pretty sure that it is a glass over multiple ply layer construction.

All of the hardware, sails, wooden mast & boom etc seems to be there. Not sure of condition but all has been stored inside. There's a supposedly reconditioned Lister motor sitting on floor of garage. Brand new ss fabricated pullpit, pushpit, rudder, skeg and a few other bits all sitting there in plastic. The guy who's boat it was recently died and family want the boat gone.

If you have 2-3000 hours available and either have or want to learn a whole new range of skills it's an opportunity.

She was once a lovely looking boat. Nice lines with a single hard chine, bulb keel and clearly fast.

What I do wonder is why the f*ck does someone take a perfectly good boat (there are pictures of it sailing round Evans Bay) and rip everything out and off. What? Do they think they can make it better than it was? Have seen this several times.

There are many of these 'project boats' around, some idiots even think they have some value. And for five minutes when I saw this one I became all hot and excited. Then I considered the scrap value, but the dead guy's family only want it to go to someone that will commit to project completion.

Send me an email if you'd like details: grantmc@paradise.,net.nz

Yip I wonder too why people take perfectly good boats and, over a long period, deconstruct them in order to rebuild them.

I understand fixing issues and putting your own personal touch on things but it is meaningless if it never gets finished :crazy:

I. Believe there is a very good R 930 "going thru the process" in Auckland :wink:

Mind you if you drive around NZ long enough you will find many boats that are sitting on rural properties that are "under construction" and been there for twenty plus years.

There are at least 20 from Warkworth to Kaeo

Archived