Fishing in NZ

Island Time

Is pretty good! Here is a 263kg Bluefin Tuna caught on my brothers boat off Westport yesterday, after a 12hour steam from Mana, in Wellington. Good fish! Lindsay (the woman in the pic) caught and landed the fish. Well done Lindsay!

Bluefin 263kg.jpg

This fish has just been verified as a World Record for a female angler!!!!

and no-one even commented? I thought some of you would be interested in fishing as well, not just sailing...

Agree that its a honking great fish, and looks very impressive, but I'm not much into fishing for the sake of records or for sport. I'm more interested in nabbing enough fish (or shellfish) for one or two meals for one or two people.

Top effort though and I'm sure it was a struggle to land a massive and powerful fish like that.

Astonishing sized unit all right.

Helping deliver my mates yacht , we took a black marlin on the way to Tonga in 2011. We didn't particularly expect it or want it but it died. We were close enough to get into port and give most of it away to the locals so that worked out ok. That thing was big enough at about 150 kg.( weight taken by measurements)

There was a point there as we lifted it aboard that I looked at it and realised , we had the weight equivalent of a 3GM yanmar and gearbox swinging around there.

Archived