VHF Aerial

Norwegian Blue

The wind combined with leaving my runners out made short work of my Pacific VHF aerial (snapped the fibreglass rod) :oops: I have put the aerial up just using a section of PVC conduit and done a radio check and it still works perfectly, so the wire element was not damaged. The PVC pipe is a bit floppy and probably won't stay up in anything other than perfect conditions.

Any suggestions to source stiff section of 20mm OD pipe/tube 2.5m long? I would like to keep this as a spare.

Fishing rods are often remarkably cheap on special, or you can probably find a broken one for almost nothing. You just need to take the guides off, which does not take long. Many are carbon, hence very strong, but not sure what this might do to the reception.

OK, we are now into product placement.

so be it.

To anwser the question...a very short piece of metal (around 450mm) can be used in an emergency.

Remember that the VHF is line of sight. The higher you can get the section the better your chances.

A spare length of coax shits all over a deck level "spare vhf annt".

A hand held vhf is a MUCH better option. It is still deck level.

Dont spend your time buying "emergency" rigs....learn what you need to do to replace it.

Gain knowlege....have materials on board that allow real flexibility.

...and for those people who say..."some people dont have the time to learn, but our product......."

well....be responsible for what you create.

Archived