Boat catches fire in Sounds.

wheels

A boat burns and sinks in the Marlborough Sounds. I think they are extremely lucky to be alive, given that it was early hrs of morning.

Not really a concern on open passage wheels - has very little steering effect steady steaming.

"...they woke to the sound of crackling flames..."

"...credits their lives with the fitting of new smoke and gas alarms..."

so i guess they woke to the sound of the smoke alarm?

damn lucky it wasn't halfway to fiji as they didn't have time to touch their radio...

Meet these guys in March at Great Barrier. A lovely couple that had done over 30,000 miles on the boat back then. Owned it from new. Invited Ray and I over for drinks and gave us some fish they had caught. Really feel for them a great boat too. Glad fire didn't happen while they were coming down from Fiji.

Not really a concern on open passage wheels - has very little steering effect steady steaming.

Just ignore that sentence. It has nothing to do with this thread and so will not make any sense. Not sure how I got it there.

via email (maybe looking to help?)

any more news on the boat fire in the sounds, like where are they staying now, was the boat insured , is the boat being brought to land to rebuild....are they looking for another boat in the meantime to live on...

Firefighters battled the blaze until about 5am.

They then sank the boat in Chaucer Bay to avoid the risk of it floating ashore and setting fire to forestry on the hill.

The pair returned with divers to the site at Bay of Many Coves on Sunday to salvage what they could from the yacht.

However, they were unable to recover much.

"I did find one thing to rescue - a vacuum-packed bag of flour," Mrs Lyne said.

The Lynes, who hope to fly home on Wednesday, were grateful to all who had offered them assistance, the salvor crew in particular. "We thank everybody for their overwhelming help and offers and for being such incredibly wonderful Kiwis," Mrs Lyne said.

"The love and support we've received from this community is just amazing."

The Marlborough assistant harbourmaster received over 100 calls from people offering clothes, accommodation and support, she said.

"We are very, very, very, very lucky. We can get over this. We can start again and carry on with our lives."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/9526499 ... -boat-fire

Archived