Nexus vs Tacktick

On tilt

I'm looking at new wind gear, anyone had any experience with Nexus or Tacktick? I'm just wondering about longevity and reliability especially in the wireless department.

Looking at the Nexus NX Wind or the TackTick racemaster TO70/75.

Or should I talk to the bank manger and go with B&G Triton

Thanks in advance

These will be available in New Zealand from (expected) march.

http://www.sailtimerwind.com/

Solar powered , no wires required, app that calculates time to destination on your boats polars, LINZ charts automatically updated, suitable for small craft also as they are submersible, very small, Iphone or ipad apps available now with android in developement.

cheers.

Learns your boats polars and windward ability.

I would also contact Cruzpro. He was working on and I believe now has available a masthead transducer with no moving parts. It uses ultrasound to measure wind flow thus giving speed and direction. I maybe wrong here, but I seem to remember he was working on a wireless version of it. If he was, he may or maynot have that version ready yet.

I replaced all of my old Navman gear with Nexus including the wireless wind gear and its been great. The only issue I had was that I had to move the receiver to the bow to get a reliable signal. It worked OK with the receiver aft until the carbon rig went in and that messed with the signal a bit. Leaving a carbon headsail flaked on deck above the receiver has a similar effect.

I'm looking at new wind gear, anyone had any experience with Nexus or Tacktick? I'm just wondering about longevity and reliability especially in the wireless department.

Thanks in advance

I just replaced the Navman stuff (stuffed) in our boat (R40) with Nexus, but connected to a Tacktick Race master T070 (caus we really like using them) and Tactick Remote.

The only thing I left in place was the underdeck Navman GPilot Autohelm as it works and is apparently a very capable unit. Bit nervous about the lack of replacement parts tho - especially the display/brain..

I have done this a couple of times with Tacktick gear now and it's pretty simple. You will need a Tacktick NMEA interface. But then you can easily hook in a NMEA capable chartplotter in or something else over and above what the Nexus Server lets you do.

I am using the Nexus NZR wind gear (wired) and depth/speed triducer. Still working out how to use the Nexus displays but everything seems to work well.

I was tempted to use the wireless Tacktick masthead unit as it worked really well on the Y88 but was just a little nervous about the greater distance on the R40 mast. The later Tackticks masthead units seem better in this respect.

We have only sailed a couple of times so far but everything seems to work fine and not much calibration required.

If you are not planning to race, I wouldn't bother with the T070. Just hook a compass in.

Using the Tacktick interface and at least one display does mean you can add in more tackticks displays anywhere on the boat with no wires. Takes about a minute to add them into the network.

I am going to try to hook the G-pilot in as well some time - aim is to try to connect it to the chartplotter and maybe the Tacktick remote. Not sure the latter is possible as I haven't researched it.

cheers

Thanks in advance

I just replaced the Navman stuff (stuffed) in our boat (R40) with Nexus, but connected to a Tacktick Race master T070 (caus we really like using them) and Tactick Remote.

The only thing I left in place was the underdeck Navman GPilot Autohelm as it works and is apparently a very capable unit. Bit nervous about the lack of replacement parts tho - especially the display/brain..

I have done this a couple of times with Tacktick gear now and it's pretty simple. You will need a Tacktick NMEA interface. But then you can easily hook in a NMEA capable chartplotter in or something else over and above what the Nexus Server lets you do.

I am using the Nexus NZR wind gear (wired) and depth/speed triducer. Still working out how to use the Nexus displays but everything seems to work well.

I was tempted to use the wireless Tacktick masthead unit as it worked really well on the Y88 but was just a little nervous about the greater distance on the R40 mast. The later Tackticks masthead units seem better in this respect.

We have only sailed a couple of times so far but everything seems to work fine and not much calibration required.

If you are not planning to race, I wouldn't bother with the T070. Just hook a compass in.

Using the Tacktick interface and at least one display does mean you can add in more tackticks displays anywhere on the boat with no wires. Takes about a minute to add them into the network.

I am going to try to hook the G-pilot in as well some time - aim is to try to connect it to the chartplotter and maybe the Tacktick remote. Not sure the latter is possible as I haven't researched it.

cheers

Thanks for your input, I am doing club racing and going to some other racing too. I like some of the features of the Tacktick.... I might be leaning that way

Archived