Cape to Rio Yacht race - one fatality reported

DrWatson

I've been following this race, for a few reasons.

Got underway Sat at 14h local time. sounds like they had a pretty rugged first night with 40-60kts and a 6m swell...

a number of boats limping back to Capetown and one dismasting with fatality...

...BILLE reported earlier today mainsail problems and that they were proceeding back to Cape Town for repairs. At 15:00 a report was received that the boat was demasted and there were a number of serious injuries on board. Sadly the yacht reported a fatality of one crew member. MRCC have activated all their agencies and we are in constant communication with the vessel. Race HQ sent the nearest vessel Genevieve Too to yacht Bille and they are currently standing close by to offer assistance....

Billie is a Bavaria 54

read more here:

http://www.cape2rio2014.com/index.php/i ... rom-rio-hq

I hope they all come through OK and sorry to hear about the casualty.

I did the Cape to Rio race in 2000 on a 57ft race yacht, its a damn long way, over 3000nm I seem to remember. Took us 17 days.

Not a good way to start and its pretty lonely in the middle of the south Atlantic.....

Nice write up by Dudley Dix on his website:

Around dusk there was a massive bang, a noise that sounded like the boat being ripped apart. Sean had shouted a warning from the cockpit that I can't repeat in present company but none of us heard it. Suddenly we were upside down and the cabin was filled with flying bodies and objects that were loose in the cabin and also those that were inside closed and latched lockers. I had been sleeping on the starboard saloon settee and had only a few seconds earlier stood up to walk aft to the cockpit. I was still in the saloon and was hit on my face and top of my head by unidentified flying debris, leaving me with minor cuts and a black eye.

The noise of this impact was so great and our up-turned position so alarming that I thought that the keel had come off. I was on the cabin roof and looked up at the bilge, all cabin soles having fallen out. I saw no gaping hole as I expected but shouted "Everybody out!!", still thinking that we had no keel. This all happened in a few seconds, then suddenly she was upright again and I knew that we still had a keel. We were left with an awful mess of food packages, cabin sole panels, tumblers, containers and anything else that managed to find its way out of its allotted place. And there was water everywhere. There had been some in the bilge but a lot more had come in through the companion hatch and a hole that we had no yet identified.

read the whole thing here

http://dudleydix.blogspot.co.nz/2014/01 ... ap-up.html

interesting story alright. and good to hear that they came through OK.

could have gone badly wrong.

Seems they were lining up to have a blinder, and it's a bit of a shame for them to have the rudder fail.

Anyway, me thinks we should all think seriously about how we would actually steer our vessels in the event of a rudder fail. I know for our various Cat certificates we have to have some way to steer, but who has actually gone out ther eand tried to steer (and sail) with their intended jury rigged rudder?

I for one will be figuring out something that actually works as a rudder.

Also interesting to note that the boat that lost her rig and had a fatality, was shipped in a few days before the race and then rigged. I wonder if that had anything to do with it?

R

interesting story alright. and good to hear that they came through OK.

could have gone badly wrong.

Seems they were lining up to have a blinder, and it's a bit of a shame for them to have the rudder fail.

Anyway, me thinks we should all think seriously about how we would actually steer our vessels in the event of a rudder fail. I know for our various Cat certificates we have to have some way to steer, but who has actually gone out ther eand tried to steer (and sail) with their intended jury rigged rudder?

I for one will be figuring out something that actually works as a rudder.

Also interesting to note that the boat that lost her rig and had a fatality, was shipped in a few days before the race and then rigged. I wonder if that had anything to do with it?

R

Transom mounted gudgeons, cassette and full blade emergency rudder that stows under the cockpit. Should be finished in a week or so.. Call me paranoid....

Transom mounted gudgeons, cassette and full blade emergency rudder that stows under the cockpit. Should be finished in a week or so.. Call me paranoid....

No, I'd call you prepared.

Ditto Smithy. Our emergency blade will be the back rest for one of the settees. Top of blade has a tube cast to take the emergency tiller.

I'm glad I'm not the only paranoid nut spending money on something that will probably never be used. (Touches wood)...

Not paranoid at all. I talked to the previous owner of a yacht I had bought and he had sailed for a month across the pacific without his rudder. He was down to his last can of spaghetti when he sighted hiva ora ( I think it was , going back a while). But hey even logs end up on a beach somewhere... ha

Archived