Sealing Carbon Fiber

Hi Team,

I have a carbon fibre spinnaker pole.  The clear coat on the outside is coming off and every time we use it you end up itching for days afterwards.   

I'm guessing it will need a sand back to remove remaining clear coat or whatever it is, but I'm wondering what do I use to seal the surface?  

Cheers

Tim

I have a carbon fibre mast - currently out of the boat during refit.  My original clear coat too is fading badly as I have no space to store it but outside, but will look good with a two pot paint.  However, I have been told you have to be careful when sanding so you don't start sanding off carbon.  I was thinking of a 220 grit hand sand, primer, then the the two pot finish....not sure if this is correct process, so please chip in with anything different to above

Do you want the Carbon fibre to be visible? If it is not important in that respect, then I suggest you go for a colured Paint. Clears are never great re UV and you also need to protect the Resin, which is not UV proof at all.
Polyurathanes tend to be better wear resistant, as they are a touch more flexible surface. Epoxies are hard, but because they are hard, they are prone to chipping.
Resin looses strength very quickly as it's temperature gets toward 60dgC and maybe (because I don't know how hot a pole would get) needs to be considered for something that takes such a huge load and it's colour is black. But black has the best UV resistance.