newbie question - what is this number?

Overseas trips is really the main advantage - or if you’re selling the boat to someone contemplating it. Clutching at straws the only other ‘advantage’ is that as a registered Maritime NZ vessel you officially qualify for protection by NZ navy vessels (or their allies) if you ever needed it. Maybe piracy issues if you were travelling - but again you’d need the number anyway to depart!

I have NZ registration for a slightly different reason - mainly because it made it much easier to explain to Malaysian officials why Fogg was being sailed through a restricted area and loaded onto a cargo ship for export to NZ - during a lockdown period in that region. By having NZ registration paper it made Fogg qualify as commercial traffic not pleasure traffic - thereby allowing my delivery crew free passage both during the delivery and on their journey back home. Lots of triplicate papers + lots of official stamps + lots of fees (you get the picture)!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maritime NZ https://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/commercial/ships/registration/default.asp

The tonnage is not displacement, but the theoretical cargo tonnage, known as Thames Tonnage. Often carved as NTxx . Island Times one is 13. No way she weighs, displaces, or could carry 13 ton, but it'

To do an international voyage you must be a registered ship. Doesn't have to be NZ.

Posted Images

You don't need this O/N stuff to be NZ registered.  

https://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/commercial/ships/registration/part-B/default.asp

As for the "tonnage", my understanding is that it started with ships being measured for how many standard barrels they could carry - i.e. tuns

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tun_(unit)

Then things morphed to where we are now.  So it has nothing to do with displacement, everything to do with how much volume is available for stowing barrels.  As in, pretty meaningless for yachts.

16 hours ago, vic008 said:

Am I confusing NZ Maritime with NZY.Can you go offshore with NZM, but dont need to be NZ Y registered?

Yes. To do an international voyage you must be a NZ reg ship. That's maritime nz. YNZ have nothing to do with that. 

2 hours ago, vic008 said:

So, be registered with MNZ. (and no need for number carved in beam,) and get cat 1 from YNZ(no need to be on their register)and good to go.

Yes. Although technically once you have been issued with the Maritime NZ registration number you are supposed to display it somewhere visible on your hull - they define font size and other details when they send you your registration. Also, there are 2 registration options Part A and B. A is for commercial vessels but for a private vessel seeking registration simply for offshore purposes you only need Part B - which is about $500 from memory (A is about $3-5k I think depending on your size).

No one checks so don't deface your boat due to some cock womble paperwork dribble. Also these days the old school 'protection' of NZ registered ships by all Commonwealth countries is purely up to the skipper of the boat that could provide protection. If they have better things to do you will be left hanging.

It's a old school scheme that is now just a blend of Big brother meets an easy no stress income.

The cheapest Commonwealth country to register in is Nigeria.

4 hours ago, Fogg said:

Yes. Although technically once you have been issued with the Maritime NZ registration number you are supposed to display it somewhere visible on your hull - they define font size and other details when they send you your registration. Also, there are 2 registration options Part A and B. A is for commercial vessels but for a private vessel seeking registration simply for offshore purposes you only need Part B - which is about $500 from memory (A is about $3-5k I think depending on your size).

Under Part B you have to display the registration number  NZ XXXX on the outside of the hull. Part A requires you have the vessel's name and port of registry on the stern and the ON permanently fixed to the vessel's main beam. 

Part A is not just for commercial vessels, also anyone with a private vessel willing to shell out the initial payment, currently $2,205 for an existing vessel under 24 m (for some reason a new build is cheaper). Part A is lifetime as long as the vessel remains under NZ ownership 

Fortunately the previous owners of my yacht registered her Part A so no renewal fees and had a very nice bronze plaque made with the ON which is fastened to the mast support beam.